Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Choices?

Default Bottle Choices?

Hi, This is my first time posting on this forum. I'm sure an answer to my question is on this forum somewhere, but I've read back about 3 pages and didn't find it. I'm a first time mother with a one month old DS. We're doing great BF and if I could I would just stay home with him. I have to go back to work in about 3 weeks, but luckily I'm only going to work 2 days a week. My question is what bottle/bottles work the best with breast fed babies? I've heard lots of conflicting information and I imagine I'll hear some here too, but I'm just trying to get an idea. Thanks for any information!

Default Re: Bottle Choices?

I think there's a couple things to keep in mind. First, whatever bottle you choose, start with the lowest flow nipple. (For example, with some brands there's a "0" that's the lowest flow, 1 is a faster flow, etc.) Second, a lot of bottles are really huge compared to what a breastfed baby normally takes at the breast. For example, 2-3 oz might be a typical "meal" for a baby at the breast, but if you go out and start looking, you'll see 8 and 10 oz bottles! This might encourage overfeeding, giving your DCP a smaller bottle might help counteract that.
    Personally, I have a Medela pump and I pump directly into the Medela bottles. I then leave the fresh milk for my LO for the next day. The Medela bottles have a system where you can swap out the bottle cap for a nipple and the baby can drink directly out of the bottle you've pumped into. I find that convenient, fewer bottles to wash, etc. But with my first baby I provided mainly frozen milk to the DCP and so I had a different type of bottle (Avent) - they have 4 oz bottles. Anyway, I think the right answer is probably whatever works best for you and your LO, I'm sure other mamas can give you more ideas as well!

Slowest flow nipples and whatever brand of bottle baby will take! My first took whatever and the second was so picky but we ended up with Breastflow.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You could also browse through this list and see if there's anything helpful:

Threads tagged "bottles"

Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank you so much for the information. I did go look at some of the older posts that Karen linked and found some more information there as well. I guess I'll do some experimenting and see what works. I really appreciate you ladies getting back to me!

I use the Avent bottles - both the "classic" and the "natural." I like the shape of the nipple on the "natural" the best. DD is 7.5 months now and we still use the newborn nipples that came with the bottle. No problems. You can also buy an adaptor for your Medela PIS which allows you to pump into the Avent bottles.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135