Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding enough?

Default feeding enough?

My baby is 5.5 mos old and recently started daycare so we've settled into a new routine and I'm concerned about whether she's eating enough.

We co-sleep and generally she'll nurse sometime around 6:30 am (feeding 1). Then we arrive at daycare at 8:30 and I nurse her there (2). They give her a mid-morning bottle (usually around 3-3.5 oz) (3). Then they call me when she's ready to eat again and I go over and nurse around lunch time (4). Then she gets another bottle mid-afternoon (5). I pick her up at 5 and if it's been more than 2 hours or so since the bottle or if she's acting hungry, I will nurse her, otherwise we hightail it home and I nurse her as soon as we get home (6). The last feeding of her day is usually when I nurse her to sleep at 7:30 or so (7). Usually when I get into bed around 10:00, she will nurse again in a sleepy state (8). Then, she has free access to my breasts all night and will usually nurse maybe twice (?). I don't really keep track but these are very short sessions and I don't think she takes in a lot of milk. We are both mostly asleep for this.

Does this sound like enough? It FEELS like a lot less than she was nursing a month ago, before daycare, partly because she was going to bed much later then so we would have these marathon evening cluster feeds.

Default Re: feeding enough?

It sounds like plenty to me. They get much more efficient at nursing as they get older so they get what they need in less time. If she seems happy and satisfied, I'd say you are doing just great.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks Sometimes just a little reassurance is all I need!

Sounds fine! At this point, a lot of babies are in an 8 feedings per 24 hour period pattern. The fact that your baby gets more than that, because you're letting her nurse unrestricted at night, is terrific! Just keep up the good work and if you have any concerns, watch her diaper output carefully.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! Can you remind me of how many wet and poop diapers she should have each day?

5-6 wets. Poops are more variable- depends on the kid. It's nothing to worry about if they don't poop every day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

PP sounds like you're doing great!