Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Broken skin from Playtex Electric Double

Default Broken skin from Playtex Electric Double

Hello everyone! Baby was born 11/5, and milk is just starting to come in. He won't latch, so I've been pumping, and today i realized that i have a perfect suction cup shaped cut around both nipples. I've only used lowest setting, but im terrified to pump again. Is it fairly normal for this to happen? I guess you get what you pay for, but I've never heard of this happening. Props to all you breastfeeders out there. Between no milk, baby never having latched on properly for more than a second, and now this, I see why so many give up quickly!! We're hanging in there though, and TIA to you all!

Default Re: Broken skin from Playtex Electric Double

Why are you pumping so soon? It's normal for your milk not to come in for 3-5 days and live on colostrum before that. Why the pump?

Way too lazy for formula

I think she's pumping because her baby is not latching. It's not normal for a pump to cause cuts/broken skin. If I were you I would rent a hospital-grade pump and get yourselves to an IBCLC to help with that latch. Do both of these things RIGHT NOW!! You can definitely do this but time is of the essence.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    It's not normal for a pump to cause cuts/broken skin. If I were you I would rent a hospital-grade pump and get yourselves to an IBCLC to help with that latch. Do both of these things RIGHT NOW!! You can definitely do this but time is of the essence.

This isn't normal, and you need hands-on, professional help. This is not to be critical of you- you're doing something amazing! But therr's something going on here that shouldn't be. Maybe thrush? Did you have antibiotics during your child's birth, or anytime shortly before/after? How about a yeast infection anywhere other than the breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

the breast flanges may be too small. but in any case, pp are correct, you absolutly need a hospital grade rented pump if you are exclusively pumping at this stage. and best would be to get baby latching. if a baby cannot latch, there is a reason and thus a solution.

you must get the milk out somehow. if baby cannot latch and you cannot puimp, try hand expression.

it is safe (for baby) for your baby to latch or ingest your expressed milk even if your nipples are injured/bleeding fyi. some moms worry about this.

mommal i am not sure why you suspect thrush, that is interesting. can you elaborate? but that opens up the idea-was this a second hand pump by any chance?

hand expression- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

feeding the non-latching baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ching_baby.pdf

latch self help - http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    i am not sure why you suspect thrush, that is interesting. can you elaborate? but that opens up the idea-was this a second hand pump by any chance?
    It's the symmetrical cuts on the areolas. The most obvious explanation is that they'd be a result of mechanical trauma from the pump and/or ill-fitting shields. But I'm wondering if thrush could have made the skin of the otherwise very resilient areola more fragile. And I think of thrush cracks as being frequently present at the nipple base or on the areola, as opposed to latch cracks, which in my experience are more likely to be on the nipple itself. And I also think of thrush cracks as more likely to radiate around the nipple.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

OK that makes sense. But ouch. Let's hope it’s not that. But your thrush idea made me wonder if it op could be getting a rash or irritation from something left on the pump flanges-soap residue, bacteria growth? What do you think, is that possible? That is why I asked if it was a used pump –or rather, used flanges. I have talked to many moms who are using everything the same-same kit and flanges- as previous pump users although of course that is not recommended. But my money is still on plain old pump injury. And shellybell, in case you were still wondering-no this is not normal! Pumping should never hurt or injure mom. It does happen of course, but that is a sign something is wrong.