Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More questions about pumping

Default More questions about pumping

I find that everyone on here is so helpful and knowledgeable that I keep returning with all of my crazy questions...

1) When my LO begins to go longer stretches during the day between feedings, should I pump in between or just feed him when he wakes? He was eating basically on the dot every 2 hours but seems to be starting to go longer stretches. I just don't want to run the risk of lowering my supply if he isn't eating as often during the day.

2) If LO sleeps longer stretches at night, should I pump or just leave my breasts full and let the supply work itself out?

3) If I am using frozen milk for a bottle, is it okay to let the frozen milk thaw out to room temp if I'm giving that milk from the bottle within the next few hours? I find the milk thaws to room temp in about an hour.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Default Re: More questions about pumping

1) & 2) Assuming your baby is older (couple of months?), it's okay not to pump in between feedings or at night. Are you working outside the home? Some working mamas might pump extra b/c a mixed BF/pumping routine can lead to a dip in supply. If you are together the majority of the time, however, it won't be necessary.

3) It's best to either thaw milk in the fridge if you don't need it immediately (but will need to be used w/i 24hrs) or quickly in hot water if you plan to use it right away. I use a large plastic cup and let hot water straight from the tap run in the cup with the bag of milk inside.

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks for the advice!

No, my LO is only 5 weeks 4 days old. So, does this change the fact that I SHOULD be pumping between feedings and at night?

I wouldn't think it's necessary unless you are dealing with issues of low supply right now, or your baby isn't gaining well. How long of a stretch are we talking? If your baby is going more than ~3 hours at a time during the day, then I might start to be concerned, or longer than one 4-5 hour stretch at night. But the first thing to try would be encouraging your baby back to the breast earlier rather than pumping.

If baby is gaining weight at a normal pace, producing adequate wet/poopy diapers, and is feeding at least 10-12 times a day, I wouldn't bother with the pump.

Are you going back to the workforce?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"