Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doctors pushing formula for 8 wk old not gaining weight HELP

Default Doctors pushing formula for 8 wk old not gaining weight HELP

I have had a lot of issues breastfeeding with my LO but ultimately I feel like it's a latch issue that isn't or can't be corrected because my LO is not gaining the amount of weight the doctors would like to see and she doesn't have as many dirty diapers as she should so I think she is not latching correctly to get the hindmilk needed for both of those things. The doctors have told me that I need to supplement with formula in order to make her gain weight but I am trying absolutely everything before I go back to work, I have made it 8 weeks and dont want to stop BF now! Any suggestions????

Default Re: Doctors pushing formula for 8 wk old not gaining weight

At 8 weeks you might not even see ONE dirty diaper a day or a week. So lets talk wets instead. How many WET diapers are you getting a day and also can we get her Weight stats from birth to now?

Way too lazy for formula

She has a TON of wet diapers and they are really really wet which for the past 8 weeks made me think things were okay. She was born 10 lbs even and the lowest recorded weight was 9 lbs 6 oz but maybe more within the first month, so at her one month checkup she was 10 lbs. Now at her 8 week weight check that they have been making me do she is at 10 lbs 6 oz. I know bigger babies are harder to keep up with the demand and I have tried everything it seems like. I pump but don't get much output, I watch her eating to make sure that it is vigorous and she swallows so I know she is getting the milk and then when she got nipple confusion and my nipples got sore and bled, I got a nipple shield which seemed to alleviate all issues and she was on an AMAZING schedule of eating every three hours for 20 minutes on one side and 20 on the other almost perfectly and was content and slept great and now at her appointment they are worried because she should have "gained so much more weight than she has" as the nurse put it. I am trying desperately to hang on to the breastfeeding as long as possible but I don't want her to suffer. ??

I don't think she is suffering. But she was BORN at 10lbs? Is that right? And it's a total MYTH that big babies are harder to keep up with demand. Hmmm. Wet diapers but she has only put on 6oz in 8 weeks. That IS puzzling. I am not alarmed though. I always think of big babies like there is more room for error. That isn't very scientific. But when my son was born he weight 8'2. And I know and have know healthy babies that were 5 and 6lbs. So my thinking when he was born and he didn't eat was "Well he's got like a 2.5 lb margin before I really have to worry." So I wonder if it's possible for you to do some weigh ins? Is there a Mommy and me Group you can go to where you can weigh her before and AFTER a feed to see how much she is taking in? Wet diapers means she IS eating....I am not really sure why she would be gaining so slowly. Is she super active?

Way too lazy for formula

I agree, there are plenty of wets, but gain is still slow. That is unusual.

When she does poop what does it look like? Does she seem generally happy? Any other health issues...rashes, congestion, gassiness?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Also if it IS A latch/milk transfer issue (which doesn't really square with her output) but JIC have you watched the Dr. Jack Newman videos on latch?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes she was 10 lbs at birth. She was 21 inches at birth and is now 22 1/2 inches long so she is growing just not gaining weight? She has been awake a lot more during the day and always has her hands and feet moving around, she is very strong! I feed on demand so if she wants to eat every hour then she eats every hour. When she does poop it is the mustardy seedy poop that it supposed to be a breastmilk poop from what I've read. She is generally a happy baby and doesn't give me much to be concerned about, the doctors are what is making me think things aren't going right.

Thank you so much for the video advice, I just watched them and we are going to work on some of the latch issues that might be happening!!

Are you still using the shield? And is baby still eating only every 3 hours, or has she increased her demand? And has baby always been weighed in the nude, using the same scale as last time?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"