Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 days old afraid he's starving

Default 3 days old afraid he's starving

Hi, I just gave birth to a wonderfully healthy baby boy 3 days ago, by C section. I was determined to breast feed from the beginning. At the hospital we were trying to get latched and start feeding, without much success latching the nurses suggested that I start supplementing with formula before he was even 1 day old. I reluctantly agreed out of fear that he was not getting enough to eat.Now we are home, I am attempting to feed every 2-3 hours without the formula with little success, he sometimes latches and sucks for a few min then he's done, and no matter how much i try to wake him, and get his attention he is completely uninterested. For most of the day he sleeps,he's not very fussy. What can I do to get him nursing? Also my milk supply has not come in yet. please help!

Default Re: 3 days old afraid he's starving

I am really sorry that your nurse gave you such poor advice. I had a baby via c-section and he didn't eat AT ALL for 24hours because he was so sleepy. My milk didn't come in for FIVE DAYS. And I never supplemented. Or panicked. Before your milk comes in all you are meant to feed the baby is colostrum. Which is very very high and rich in nutrients but there is very little of it. I am telling you this so that you don't panic and STOP supplementing with formula before you damage your supply.
    1st of all you don't have to worry about it AT ALL until the meconium poop stops. If you are still getting those than the baby is still processing the food that you gave him in utero.
    2nd, let the baby have full access to your breasts. So let him eat, then put him down and as soon as he roots again feed him. If he sleeps for longer than 2-3 hours, dream feed him. He WILL suck in his sleep. So allow that. A baby doesn't have to be alert to eat.
    3rd, at some point before your milk comes in your baby will want to stay permanently latched to your breast. Do not panic. Do not supplement. That is your baby working to get your milk to come in. And once it does he will continue to want to eat around the clock for 3-6weeks AT LEAST to regulate your milk supply. Eating every 1-3 hours is NORMAL and does NOT mean you aren't making enough. Let the baby nurse on demand. So keep calm and carry on. The baby NEEDS colostrum. Babies are SUPPOSED to live on nothing but for a couple of days. I am really sorry your nurse on and L&D ward didn't know that. I'd actually consider writing a letter to complain about it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I am really sorry that your nurse gave you such poor advice. I had a baby via c-section and he didn't eat AT ALL for 24hours because he was so sleepy. My milk didn't come in for FIVE DAYS. And I never supplemented. Or panicked. Before your milk comes in all you are meant to feed the baby is colostrum. Which is very very high and rich in nutrients but there is very little of it. I am telling you this so that you don't panic and STOP supplementing with formula before you damage your supply.
    1st of all you don't have to worry about it AT ALL until the meconium poop stops. If you are still getting those than the baby is still processing the food that you gave him in utero.
    2nd, let the baby have full access to your breasts. So let him eat, then put him down and as soon as he roots again feed him. If he sleeps for longer than 2-3 hours, dream feed him. He WILL suck in his sleep. So allow that. A baby doesn't have to be alert to eat.
    3rd, at some point before your milk comes in your baby will want to stay permanently latched to your breast. Do not panic. Do not supplement. That is your baby working to get your milk to come in. And once it does he will continue to want to eat around the clock for 3-6weeks AT LEAST to regulate your milk supply. Eating every 1-3 hours is NORMAL and does NOT mean you aren't making enough. Let the baby nurse on demand. So keep calm and carry on. The baby NEEDS colostrum. Babies are SUPPOSED to live on nothing but for a couple of days. I am really sorry your nurse on and L&D ward didn't know that. I'd actually consider writing a letter to complain about it.

You can also count wet and dirty diapers to reassure yourself that he's getting enough. If it's coming out, it's going in.

But on day 3 she won't get the normal number of diapers. I don't think we count using the counting method until after....Day 7? I think it's a week in. Before that....I think it's one for every day they are alive. Or something like that. So only 3today?

Way too lazy for formula

I think that's right--I meant to look at kellymom and post the recommended number and forgot.

ETA: I couldn't find it on the kellymom site, but found this from that site, quoted somewhere else:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7123757AAI6gZD

Totally agree with everything the others have said. I also had a c-section with my first baby and my milk didn't come in until day five. I just let her stay on my breast as often and as long as she wanted and then all the sudden BAM there was milk. And a lot of it.

And keep in mind they don't need much those first few days. Their tummies are the size of a grape, so very little colostrum fills them up. But it's so perfectly made for them that they digest it really fast so they're hungry again soon.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

There you go. Size of a grape. NOT STARVING.

Way too lazy for formula

from C-section land. My 2nd child was sleepy as well; milk didn't come in until day 5. She went from 8#5 to 7#5 on day 3. Went an entire day without peeing. I kept at it (bringing her into my Pedi's office to make sure her weight hadn't dropped further), and fast forward to today: not even 2, weighs 29 lbs. Has never had a drop of formula in her life.

All that is meant to you into knowing you can do it! Babies get sleepy after sections; tons of fluid given, plus the narcotics (which you NEED for pain control - don't try to tough-guy it out, it'll stress you out and impact your letdown). I had to wake her up for every. single. feeding until she was LITERALLY 2 weeks old. I would strip her down to just a diaper or diaper/onesie, use a cold diaper wipe or wet washcloth on her head/back/feet, change her diaper in between breasts, etc. it felt mean, but I had to do it or she would just sleep and sleep.

HTH and good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I absolutely agree that if you need the pain meds you should take them. That said, by day three I was mainly taking just ibuprofin. Lots of it, but it did the trick for me most of the time. I'd sometimes take something stronger in the evenings when I was getting sore from moving around all day.

I guess what I'm saying is don't feel bad about taking stronger stuff if you need it, but don't pop them just because they are there either.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Whateva Still here. I got my Vicodin REFILLED. Shoot.

Way too lazy for formula