Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby all of a sudden wants to feed every 2hrs day and night!

Default Baby all of a sudden wants to feed every 2hrs day and night!

Help all of a sudden my 14week old son now wants to feed every 2 hrs day and night!!!

At first i just asumed he was having a growth spurt but its been 3 weeks now and i am done in never been this tired in my life!! he is very unhappy all the time always moaning and fretting never seems settled anymore.

We had a perfect routine going feeding every 3hrs through the day feeding last at 7pm waking for a feed at 2.30am then a feed when he wakes at 7am. he did this from 2 weeks old.

With my older son i did a combination of formula and breastfeeding. so today i gave my 14week old a bottle of formula milk. he took 4oz (which is the amount i get when i express now) and has been so happy he has been full of smiles and giggling his head of for the past 3hrs never moaned once!

Whats going on???? is my milk not filling him up?? or what ???

Default Re: Baby all of a sudden wants to feed every 2hrs day and ni

Nope. That is not it. And quite frankly I can't believe you were ever getting a stretch that long out of a baby so young! Every 2 hours is totally normal. I am wondering if maybe you have been eating something that is upsetting his stomach. What do his diapers look like?
    And don't feed a baby formula for no reason. All it EVER does is throw off your supply. If your baby is demanding milk every 2hours, that is the message that your body needs to make the right amount of milk. By not giving it to him, he missed that que. And since formula is harder on their system and takes longer to digest, he won't que you again as he normally would. So just from that ONE feeding your body missed 2 ques to make milk.
    Babies needs change. All the time. I am not sure WHY your baby was giving you such a long stretch in terms of sleep so early, but the ONLY thing that I know about sleep for sure is that is CHANGES every 4-6 weeks the whole 1st year. So I am super happy that you got that much sleep for any length of time, but him waking more often to eat DOES NOT signify that there is ANYTHING wrong. So don't tank your supply because of it.
    The constant fussiness MAY be related to something you are eating. Or a sensitivity he has. What have the diapers looked like as of late?

Way too lazy for formula

What the PP said. That every 3 hour, sleep mostly through the night feeding routine you had going? Forget it. It's a thing of the past. Your baby gave you a super-easy time the first 14 weeks, but he's not obligated to keep on doing that. As DJs.mom said, the only sure thing about sleep patterns is that they are going to change all the time. The only thing you can do is to try to cope- co-sleep at night, nap during the day. It may help to take a look at Elizabeth Pantley's book, "The No-Cry Sleep Solution", for a look at what is normal for breastfed babies and also for some gentle strategies which can help encourage more independent sleep.

I know it seems like formula must be the answer, but for the reason the PP elucidated, it's not. It will tank your supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DJsmom and mommal are right. There is a reason they are the "queens of lactation nation!" Listen to them!!

i have a 16month old son too so sleeping through the day is a big NO NO. When the older one has his nap after lunch baby is awake =/. errm... his nappys are yellowish and quite loose. one thing though he has really bad wind... he breaks wind altest every 5mins!!!

I exclusivly breastfed my older son untill he was 6m then added formula not sure why i added it...! people have always said to me that they were shoked about both my kids sleeping habits my older son slept all night from 3weeks old. my helath visitor got me to start waking him through the night to feed but i couldnt get him to wake up enough to actuly feed.

is ther things that mums eat that are bad for effecting milk?

It depend on whether or not he has a sensitivity. Bad gas could be causing him to be fussy. Which really doesn't have anything to do with your milk. So NOT a reason to add formula to the mix. Try Gripe water or Mylicon.

Way too lazy for formula

And continue to feed him on demand and DO NOT assume that his increased eating means anything other then he needs to eat.

Way too lazy for formula

Based on the diaper out put it doesn't seem to be anything like dairy. I suggest staying away from foods that make YOU gassy!

Way too lazy for formula

Yellowish/loose nappies and lots of gas are normal. As long as baby isn't in discomfort from gas, just roll with it.

This link covers diet and its effects on milk: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i have tried gripe water and i was given baby gaviscon from the GP incase the fussing was caused by colic or reflux but that made no diference.

Its not like he is in pain though its like he just grumpy or bored but nothing seems to help not sure if he is just going to be a grumpy baby?