Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newest BFing issue...

Default Newest BFing issue...

Ok, so my new problem with BFing my 7 week old isthat he seems to be angry almost when at breast. He grunts, wiggles a lot, pulls on me, and turns his head side to side when on breast. It is painful when he does this and I usually end up stopping, pumping quick,a nd feedin him the bottle of milk. Any suggestions on why he is doing this and what I can do to stop it? Thanks again!

Default Re: Newest BFing issue...

My 6 week old has started doing this recently as well. I 'think' it's gas. I usually try to take him off, burp him, then put him back. It works some of the time, not all. I really have no other idea of what it could be. So many mysteries...

He's not angry. He's struggling with something. Perhaps a rapid flow of milk? Perhaps he needs to burp/fart? Whatever the problem is, the solution is NOT pumping and bottle-feeding. That's just going to get you into a world of additional problems- the most likely being that baby is going to start doing the grunt/wiggle/head turn thing even earlier in the feeding, in an attempt to get you to give him a bottle. Babies tend to like bottles because they are very easy to feed from, when compared to the breast,and a lot of babies who get bogged when they fuss will graduate to outright breast rejection.

The PP's suggestion- take baby off, burp him, and put him back- is the best way to deal with this problem. I also suggest trying some alternate nursing positions, and see if that makes baby more comfortable.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

In fact the bottle may be THE problem. He may be preferring the easy flow of the bottle to the work involved in feeding. So he is getting frustrated with the process of working to get a letdown and the work involved in feeding. Which you absolutely want him to do. Because pumping and bottle feeding will NOT be easier for you in the long run. So stick it out for a few days. So he "forgets" about the bottle is will do the work to get food from the tap.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try burping him more and see if that helps. He actually prefers breast to bottle! It takes him twice as long to drink the bottle than it does for him to nurse until full at breast so I will try and stop pumping when ths happens!!

Please do stop with the pumping. It's just sabotaging you!

Do you happen to have a lot of milk? Sometimes a high supply and a fast letdown can cause some of the issues you're experiencing. Signs of high supply/fast letdown:
    - Mom may feel engorged/full fairly regularly.
    - Mom may leak a lot.
    - Mom may experience strong letdown sensation.
    - Mom may be able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease, even after a feeding.
    - Baby may pull off the breast when nursing.
    - If baby pulls off during a letdown, mom may observe milk squirting/streaming from the breast.
    - Baby may choke, cough, gag, splutter, or produce a clicking or clucking noise while nursing.
    - Feedings may be fast, sometimes as little as 5-10 minutes.
    - Baby may be very gassy.
    - Baby may produce poop that is consistently or frequently green/greenish.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I don't think I have an oversupply of milk but I do have a strong let down reflex. My son does sometimes start to cough and gag when letdown happens so I have been using the laid back position. Also, when I am not feeding him I tend to get almost a painful letdown reflex- it is very strong and sometime when I feel this I leak but my breasts are not engorged.

Okay, since he's still really young there's a good chance that the grunt/wiggle/head turn thing is a reaction to the rapid letdown. Or maybe even to the flow of milk slowing down once the letdown tapers off. If I'm right, the problem should go away in time, provided you stop the bottles (sorry to beat that dead horse!) and let him figure out how to deal with the flow speed, whether that's too fast or too slow for his liking. He's eventually going to become a much better nurser and a much stronger, more adept, bigger baby, and little things like fast letdowns won't cause him so much struggle.