Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 mth old teething and nipple pain

Default 5 mth old teething and nipple pain

My 5 mth old has recently been teething and now has his 2 bottom teeth (teeth are through the gum but not out all the way). Now I'm having some nipple pain, especially on the right side. When he latches, I can feel the teeth rubbing against the side of the nipple and it's become quite sore. I thought that the tongue should cover the teeth so they don't touch the breast, but that hasn't been the case, especially on the one side. Any advice?

Default Re: 5 mth old teething and nipple pain

When baby is nursing actively and swallowing, his lower gums/teeth shouldn't be in contact with your breast. Do you feel the rubbing the whole time? Or is it only at the beginning or end of the feeding?

I have the same issue. He bit my left side (the slower side), and nursing is a real pain now. Blah.

DD bit me like 4 times yesterday (ouchh) so I put her to sleep without finishing eating and she was NOT happy! Nursed her a few minutes later and she wised up real fast Lanolin is my best friend when it comes to nipple pain and soreness!!

Update: Since I posted this question, the problem seems to have resolved itself. I don't really notice the teeth much anymore. I guess he was just figuring out how to work things with the new additions to his mouth. In terms of biting, he did bite a few times at first, but I quickly took the breast out of his mouth and said "ouch". He seemed pretty upset, and I don't know if he really connected biting to hurting me, but he hasn't done it since (knock on wood). I also put his hand in his mouth, gently rubbing his finger over the teeth (not hurting him), so he could feel them and said "these are your teeth. teeth hurt." I don't know if he understood this, but it was worth a try. He still chews on everything, but at least it's not me for now!