Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 mth old teething and nipple pain

Default 5 mth old teething and nipple pain

My 5 mth old has recently been teething and now has his 2 bottom teeth (teeth are through the gum but not out all the way). Now I'm having some nipple pain, especially on the right side. When he latches, I can feel the teeth rubbing against the side of the nipple and it's become quite sore. I thought that the tongue should cover the teeth so they don't touch the breast, but that hasn't been the case, especially on the one side. Any advice?

Default Re: 5 mth old teething and nipple pain

When baby is nursing actively and swallowing, his lower gums/teeth shouldn't be in contact with your breast. Do you feel the rubbing the whole time? Or is it only at the beginning or end of the feeding?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I have the same issue. He bit my left side (the slower side), and nursing is a real pain now. Blah.

DD bit me like 4 times yesterday (ouchh) so I put her to sleep without finishing eating and she was NOT happy! Nursed her a few minutes later and she wised up real fast Lanolin is my best friend when it comes to nipple pain and soreness!!

Update: Since I posted this question, the problem seems to have resolved itself. I don't really notice the teeth much anymore. I guess he was just figuring out how to work things with the new additions to his mouth. In terms of biting, he did bite a few times at first, but I quickly took the breast out of his mouth and said "ouch". He seemed pretty upset, and I don't know if he really connected biting to hurting me, but he hasn't done it since (knock on wood). I also put his hand in his mouth, gently rubbing his finger over the teeth (not hurting him), so he could feel them and said "these are your teeth. teeth hurt." I don't know if he understood this, but it was worth a try. He still chews on everything, but at least it's not me for now!