Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should I wait to weigh baby after a feeding?

Default How long should I wait to weigh baby after a feeding?

My daughter is 9 months and not gaining anymore. I went to mom's group where they have a medical grade baby scale, but the scale didn't arrive until late and I had to nurse her before I was able to weigh her. I weighed her about 1/2 hour later. Is that long enough or would her weight still be up from the feeding?
    Thanks!

Default Re: How long should I wait to weigh baby after a feeding?

Her weight would be up by whatever number of oz matched her intake until she either peed or pooped it out.

When you say your baby isn't gaining, what do you mean exactly? Like no weight gain at all, or just very slow? After the middle of the first year, a lot of breastfed babies plateau in weight as they start devoting increasing numbers of calories to motion.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think we need a little more information. What has baby's weight been up to this point? Is this the first issue with gaining weight? How many times a day is she nursing? Has she recently started crawling or walking? I don't see any reason why her nursing before a weigh-in would significantly effect the outcome.

She hadn't gained ANY weight at all from 6 months to 8 months, then she gained 5 ounces one week and again hasn't gained anything since. She is also basically the same length and her head is basically the same (both have grown fractionally) as at 6 months. At her 6 month appointment, she was in the 50% for weight and she has dropped to the 15%. Seeing as I have a naturopath, and that my daughter has started crawling, is very very active and is healthy with good muscle tone, no one is super concerned. That said, we are taking measures to increase her weight, and if she hasn't gained by our follow-up appointment, I think a real worry may set in. She nurses 8-10 times per day. I have only weighed her before and after a feeding once and she took two ounces. I think most of her feedings she takes about this much, not because I have a low milk supply, but because she gets distracted and is generally not that super interested in nursing. We have a really good session in the morning where I know she gets ALOT more than two ounces, and we usually have two other productive sessions per day, after naps. She eats three times a day and I have started adding coconut oil, butter and olive oil to her foods, though this can be difficult as she won't take purees. She eats, chicken, beans, quinoa if she can pick it up and fruits and veggies dipped in either butter or coconut oil. She also eats cheese. Thanks!

Can you post a weight history? Birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each check-up?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Birth weight 7lbs 12 ounces, she did not lose enough weight in her first week to concern the doctor, by a week old she was up to 7lbs 7ounces
    (can't find weight from one month, but she'd gained considerably)
    At 2 months she weighed 11 pounds, 6 ounces
    At 4 months she weighed 14 pounds 4 ounces
    At 6 months she weighed 15 pounds 13 ounces
    on a different scale ( at mom's group) between visits, at around 8 months, she weighed 15 pounds 10 ounces
    the following week on this same scale she weighed 15 pounds 15 ounces
    we moved so we have started seeing a new naturopath. On the natropaths scale at 8 months, 3 weeks,(this was this monday) she weighed 15 pounds 10 ounces
    on the scale from mom's group this week (yesterday) she weighed 16 pounds 1.5 ounces, 1/2 hour after a feeding.