Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can't latch/my fault/flat nipples

Default can't latch/my fault/flat nipples

Well.... My last forum was titled "I decided" or something like that. I had made the decision to stick with BFing and meant it. I'm NOT giving up but I still can't get Keiara to stay latched on and it's all my fault she's trying so hard and it's breaking my heart....... And also driving me insane....... When I first offer her my nipple I have to kind of pinch it or flatten it so that she can latch on but she will only stay latched for about 4 to 8 minutes (some times longer, some times shorter. it varies) I can tell she wants to continue nursing so I will offer her the other side only to get the same results I'm pretty sure I have flat nipples and I have huge breast but she gets very upset and, to me, it's like she's not getting any milk after a few minutes on each side. I say that because she will press her whole face into my boobs and then squeeze them with both hands and I can just tell she's getting mad and tired of trying. It's so frustrating and I just cry with her because I feel like I'm going to have to stop BFing before I lose my mind. Please, I will try ANY THING! ANYTHING AT ALL, IF Y'ALL CAN JUST HELP! Is there some thing I can do to make my nipples "not flat" or some thing I can do to help her latch on. She won't take a nipple shield. We started off with that after the second or third feed in the hospital but she started refusing it after about 3 1/2-4 months of age. If you have flat nipples, what did you to do fix the latch on problem? I will be thankful for any advice at all.
    I didn't succeed with Breastfeeding with my first two children I'M NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME! I PROMISED MY DAUGHTER!

Default Re: can't latch/my fault/flat nipples

Here are some links you may find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...yjun89p35.html
    http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/.../inverted.html

one of my nipples was kind of flat and so I had to work with my daughter when she was really young to get her to latch right. What I would do was make a "breast sandwhich" squeezing in the direction of the babies mouth (e.g. if she is cradle hold, you want to squeeze from 10 and 2 o'clock and if she is in football hold from 6 and 12 o clock). This helped her to get more of my nipple in her mouth. How old is your baby? Is she gaining? It might not have ANYTHING to do with your breasts or your supply. My daughter went through a phase of pushing into my breasts and to this day she slaps them when she nurses, but I have never had a supply issue. It is possible that she is more efficient at getting it out now and that 4 -8 minutes per side is enough. My daughter started out nursing for an hour and a half on each breast and now she is down to no more than 8 minutes per side (she is 9 months). Did you have a problem with oversupply? If your flow slows down (that isn't to say you have less milk!) she may be getting frustrated that it doesn't come down fast enough. In that case, you can also squeeze your breast. It will help the milk come out a little faster and give her the encouragement to keep going! Don't give up. Breastfeeding is one of the hardest things I have ever done because they are changing so fast and just when something seems to be working, they grow or get teeth or change their behavior in some way...... which, since I mentioned teething, it could be that too! I wouldn't assume that she is not gettting enough. If her weight is good and she is peeing /pooping like she should be, it may not be a problem at all!

It's not your fault that you have flat nipples!

How old is your baby? I have one flat nipple and one breast with no nipple, and for both my daughters it simply took time (around 3 months and 6 weeks respectively) before they got the hang of it.

Sorry I have no more advice! I hope it gets easier for you soon - good for you for being SO committed to nursing!!

Pumping sometimes can help 'draw out' flat nipples. I had sort of flat nipples when DS was first born, after a year of pumping, they aren't flat anymore. But that's a lot of work to fix what may be a fairly simple problem. I agree with the PP about trying the 'breast sandwich' approach. I also agree that at a certain point babies get more efficient with nursing and spend a lot less time on the breast at each nursing session. So that may be what's going on. If you think she's getting frustrated with the lack of milk flow but still seems hungry, try switching her to the other breast and see if she can trigger a second let-down there. Just keep switching back and forth between sides whenever the flow of milk seems to flow down. This will help her get more milk with less work on her part.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

It takes my DD about 5-8 minutes TOTAL to get her fill from both sides. She stays latched on one side for maybe 1-2 minutes, then is ready to switch. Babies get efficient as they get older I laughed at PP because my daughter also slaps my boobs and sometimes screeches and then latches on and off so ferociously, it's hilarious. May just be a phase Mama! I agree with PP about the switching. If she pops off, put her on the other side and just go back and forth until she gets the milk going. There are times when we have to go back and forth like 8 times to get it going the way DD likes it! LOL. I know you are frustrated and so determined to keep BFing! You are doin great, just keep asking questions and hopefully you will find something that works for you and your little baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizfairchild View Post
    Here are some links you may find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...yjun89p35.html
    http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/.../inverted.html

one of my nipples was kind of flat and so I had to work with my daughter when she was really young to get her to latch right. What I would do was make a "breast sandwhich" squeezing in the direction of the babies mouth (e.g. if she is cradle hold, you want to squeeze from 10 and 2 o'clock and if she is in football hold from 6 and 12 o clock). This helped her to get more of my nipple in her mouth. How old is your baby? Is she gaining? It might not have ANYTHING to do with your breasts or your supply. My daughter went through a phase of pushing into my breasts and to this day she slaps them when she nurses, but I have never had a supply issue. It is possible that she is more efficient at getting it out now and that 4 -8 minutes per side is enough. My daughter started out nursing for an hour and a half on each breast and now she is down to no more than 8 minutes per side (she is 9 months). Did you have a problem with oversupply? If your flow slows down (that isn't to say you have less milk!) she may be getting frustrated that it doesn't come down fast enough. In that case, you can also squeeze your breast. It will help the milk come out a little faster and give her the encouragement to keep going! Don't give up. Breastfeeding is one of the hardest things I have ever done because they are changing so fast and just when something seems to be working, they grow or get teeth or change their behavior in some way...... which, since I mentioned teething, it could be that too! I wouldn't assume that she is not gettting enough. If her weight is good and she is peeing /pooping like she should be, it may not be a problem at all!
    thank you! the first link was very very helpful! to answer your questions my baby is 5 months old (will be 6 months on Nov. 17th) and 2 weeks ago she weighed 12.7lbs. she is still very small but was extremely small at birth (4lbs). i haven't had a issue with over supply (i feel like i don't make enough). and i absolutely think she is teething. thank you for the links!
    I didn't succeed with Breastfeeding with my first two children I'M NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME! I PROMISED MY DAUGHTER!

there are shells for flat nipples that you can wear to make them stick out
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby