Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nystatin for yeast?

Default nystatin for yeast?

So I went to the breastfeeding clinic today because of the pain that I was having (I posted a few days ago 'pain in one nipple' if you want the whole story). The lactation consultant was great, listened to my symptoms and watched us latch on, and gave some suggestions. Apparently I'm not waiting for her to open quite wide enough when she initially latches on, but overall she said our latch isn't that bad. She said she thinks our big problem is thrush, which I had suspected for a long time but it had been dismissed as a cause by several doctors/dentists. Anyways, we were able to see the nurse practitioner there, and she prescribed topical clotimazole 3x/day for me. I asked if DD should be treated too -she said she doesn't always prescribe stuff for babies when they don't obviously have white patches, but that she'd give me a script for nystatin if I wanted it. So I took the script and had it filled but haven't decided yet whether to use it. I've read things on other sites about ppl who think it's not very effective, so I wondered if anyone on here has any experience with it? Did you use it even if the baby didn't show obvious symptoms? Thanks!

Default Re: nystatin for yeast?

We were treated for thrush twice. Both times I was the only one who was symptomatic and both times we were BOTH treated. My understanding from the LCs we worked with is that thrush is very easy to pass back and forth between the two of you, so you should both be treated. It certainly didn't hurt. We had an oral suspension for our LO and found that coating our finger in the fluid and then rubbing it in his mouth was the most effective way of administering it. We were also told we could put it on a cotton swab. LO isn't meant to swallow it; it is supposed to be a topic medication for his mouth (sorry if this is obvious--we missed this this first time!).

There are some other things you can do (in addition to the meds) for thrush, that we found helpful. I took a daily probiotic, made sure we kept everything that touched my breasts or breastmilk clean (washed in HOT water), and used disposable breast pads changing them out whenever they were moist.

There are a lot of other approaches too. Check these out for some additional ideas: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/thrush-resources/ and http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/thrush-resources/

Good luck!

Agree with PP about both you and baby being treated and with her other recommendations. My pediatrician advised me to actually boil pump parts, nipples, pacis, bottles etc for 10 minutes to sterilize. Also, if the clotrimazole doesn't work for you, you can ask about taking diflucan (that's what my ob prescribed for me, I think it tends to be more effective than the clotrimazole). If I remember correctly it was only one or two pills.

Thanks for the info guys! I've been taking probiotics and grapefruit seed oil, but I hadn't heard about the green tea thing that was mentioned in one of the articles. I'm going to try that. I haven't noticed much of a difference yet, but it's only been a day and a half of treatment. And thanks for the tip about using my finger to put the nystatin in her mouth - just squirting half a cc in each cheek just makes her gag, poor little one!

i've had thrush for about 2 months (stubborn stupid one here!) and finally started treating it with GSE yesterday - swab nipples & baby's mouth with diluted solution (10 drops per oz water) once every waking hour. dramatic improvement just wtihin a few hours yesterday, but i'll continue all weekend.
    http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Does anyone know how long before I should be feeling some relief from this? I've been using the nystatin in baby's mouth (applying it either with a clean finger or q-tips), swabbing my nipples several times/day with GSE solution and applying clotrimazole cream 3x/day, and I'm taking probiotics 3x/day. I felt slightly better on Sunday, but yesterday and today, it's just as bad as ever...I feel like I just want to rip my right nipple off

My LC told me if pain is just one sided it isnt thrush and i was treated twice. If it doesnt get better in a week id get a second opinion on thrush. My problem was caused by a bad latch. Did the LC check latch on both sides or atleast the bad side? GL mama i hope it gets better soon because i deffinately feel your pain.

Don't get me wrong, I do have pain on both sides, just the right is a lot worse. The LC did watch us latch on - LO does need to open her mouth wider, I just have a lot of trouble getting her to do it. She also slides off the nipple as the feed goes on, but the LC said she doesn't think that'll get better until the thrush is treated.

I have another question about this whole thrush thing. I decided to ditch the nystatin for LO and instead use GSE swabbed in her mouth before every feed (except at night), and I'm swabbing it on my nipples after every feed and using the clotrimazole 3x/day. We've really worked to improve our latch, and I think it is a little better. My nipples don't hurt nearly as much during feeds (yay!) which makes me think the GSE is helping. But now they seem to hurt a lot more BETWEEN feeds, and the deep breast pain has gotten a lot worse over the past few days. Is this what they mean when they say thrush can feel worse before it gets better, or am i just plain getting worse? I'm waiting for a call back from the NP, but any thoughts in the meantime?