Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dr. & LC giving conflicting advice

Default Dr. & LC giving conflicting advice

My little man was born 7/12/12. He weighed 8lbs, 15oz (although I think that may have been inflated a little because I was on fluids for so long.) When we left the hospital he was 8lbs, 1oz. He was back to his birth weight by his 2 weeks appointment. At his one month he weighed 9lbs, 3ozs.

At our two month well baby visit, he weighed 10lbs 2oz. The pediatrician was concerned and asked us to come back for a weight check in two weeks. We did, and he'd gone up to 10lbs 10oz. The doctor said he looked great and would see us at 4 months. For my own piece of mind, I contacted a LC. A friend recommended her LC to me and we set up a meeting.

Well, at the meeting she pulled out the calculator and told me how he was only gaining .4 ounces a day and he needed to be gaining at least half an ounce, how he looked underfed, she was concerned that he had rigid muscle tone in his legs and maybe in his jaw, thought he had a weak suck, she wanted his tongue checked for tongue tie...basically this whole laundry list of issues that I didn't think existed until I met with her. She advised me to set up a meeting with a pedi she recommended to have his tongue looked at (as well as his muscle tone), to stop freezing what I pumped and instead have my husband give him a 3oz bottle of BM in addition to his normal feedings each day.

I did all of that, and at our next meeting two weeks later, he was gaining .6 ounces/a day. I thought, yay, we're on track! But then she said she wanted him to be gaining between an ounce and an ounce and a half a day to make up for his earlier slow gaining. She wanted me to add another pumping session and have my husband feel him a second 3oz bottle daily.

Well, my husband doesn't even get home until 6:30, and LO's bedtime is 8:30-9 and we have dinner in between, so there just wasn't enough time in the day for the second bottle. So I kept pumping, and he kept getting his one bottle.

A few days later, LO came down with a cold. We took him to our pedi, who weighed him with his clothes on (and a wet diaper) so the scale wasn't accurate, but they said other than his sniffles he looked great.

Now at our third meeting, he's back down to only gaining .4 ounces/a day for the past two weeks. She wants us to put him on a 2 hour feeding schedule around the clock, have me pump after every other feeding, increase his supplemental BM bottles to 2 or 3, depending on how much I can pump...and all of this is coming 2 weeks before I go back to work full time.

We called our pediatrician and explained how the meetings have been going, and they told us there's nothing to worry about. He's not on WHO growth charts (just below 3% last time I checked) but the pedi says he's growing on his own curve and that's fine. He's also grown almost 5 inches in length since birth, which I sometimes wonder if that's a factor in his slow weight gain.

But now I'm not sure what to do. Our LC is ringing the alarms and our pediatrician says everything is great. I want to trust our pediatrician--we've been really happy with them so far--but I also want to make sure my son is growing well. (We haven't had the meeting with the other pediatrician yet for his tongue, so I don't know where she'll weigh in.)

For background: he's alert, meeting all milestones, has at least 8 wet cloth diapers a day, sleeps well and is all-around a very happy (but skinny!) baby. The LC weighed him at 11lbs, 6.5oz today. He'll be 4 months on 11/12. He eats every 2-3 hours and according to the weighed feed, he took in about 85ml/just shy of 3 ounces each time.

He's not a great sleeper and with this new schedule she gave me--basically feeding him every 2 hours around the clock, with one 3 hour stretch in the middle of the night--she wants us to interrupt his naps and longer night time stretches to feed him. He doesn't go back down easily and I worry that he's we're all going to lose a lot of sleep with this.

She also hasn't come out and said it directly, but from some comments and questions she asks, I get the feeling she's going to suggest I switch to exclusively pumping, which I would hate to do and lose so much snuggle time with my little man.

Any thoughts or advice would much appreciated!!

Default Re: Dr. & LC giving conflicting advice

Well it can't hurt to go to the ped to have the tongue tie assessed. But I'd be wary of an Lc whose first suggestion is bottle fed instead of trying to increase nursing frequency. I also don't get how she thinks you can make up for the earlier weight gain. Babies begin to slow down at for months anyway. Can you find another one, preferably an IBCLC? How long exactly does he sleep for naps and at night? Are you using a pacifier or swaddling to encourage long stretches of sleep? These can keep baby in a deeper sleep and interfere with baby waking for his natural hunger cues.

Here's link to a few pages that might be helpful.
    http://kellymom.com/category/health/growth/

Hi Mama, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry that you are getting such different advice from two of our most trusted sources. It sounds like you have a banana baby I think that's pretty common among BF babies - long and lean. From your post, it sounds like he's doing great! Maybe the LC thought you could dreamfeed (just pick him up w/o waking and eat), but I know my DD cannot do that - she wakes right up! I'm sure other mama's will have some better advice than this, but honestly I would listen to your BABY before the LC or the Pedi. If he is happy, hitting milestones, peeing and pooping fine and all of that, then he sounds like he's just a little peanut! If the pedi didn't notice lack of muscle tone (which they check during their appts) then he's probably okay!

Someone on here posted that 2-4 oz is a really typical amount for a BF baby to take in, so it sounds like he's probably getting that based on your weigh in!

Before you started your 2 hr schedule, how often has he been eating? Do you feed on demand, or based on a longer schedule? Have you started him on any cereal? If so, I would stop and just go with milk until 6 months - BM has more calories!
    Last edited by @llli*blueberrysmom; November 8th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    Well it can't hurt to go to the ped to have the tongue tie assessed. But I'd be wary of an Lc whose first suggestion is bottle fed instead of trying to increase nursing frequency. I also don't get how she thinks you can make up for the earlier weight gain. Babies begin to slow down at for months anyway. Can you find another one, preferably an IBCLC? How long exactly does he sleep for naps and at night? Are you using a pacifier or swaddling to encourage long stretches of sleep? These can keep baby in a deeper sleep and interfere with baby waking for his natural hunger cues.
    We are going to get his tongue assessed--I'd be really surprised if he turned out to have a tongue tie. From what I've looked up online, at least, he doesn't show any of the symptoms. This current LC is an IBCLC--she came recommended from a friend who had great success with her, which is why we chose her, so I'm not quite sure why we're having such a different experience.

We've swaddled him at night since we brought him home and it doesn't seem like that's ever kept him asleep for too long--he wakes up 1-2 times a night to nurse and that's been the case for awhile now, and he never seems overly hungry (fussing rather than screaming, no gulping or ravenous eating.) He takes a pacifier occasionally, but we generally use it at times when he just can't be nursed--if we're in the car on the highway, for example--but not to extend eating times.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blueberrysmom View Post
    Hi Mama, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry that you are getting such different advice from two of our most trusted sources. It sounds like you have a banana baby I think that's pretty common among BF babies - long and lean. From your post, it sounds like he's doing great! Maybe the LC thought you could dreamfeed (just pick him up w/o waking and eat), but I know my DD cannot do that - she wakes right up! I'm sure other mama's will have some better advice than this, but honestly I would listen to your BABY before the LC or the Pedi. If he is happy, hitting milestones, peeing and pooping fine and all of that, then he sounds like he's just a little peanut! If the pedi didn't notice lack of muscle tone (which they check during their appts) then he's probably okay!

Someone on here posted that 2-4 oz is a really typical amount for a BF baby to take in, so it sounds like he's probably getting that based on your weigh in!

Before you started your 2 hr schedule, how often has he been eating? Do you feed on demand, or based on a longer schedule? Have you started him on any cereal? If so, I would stop and just go with milk until 6 months - BM has more calories!
    Thanks! Yeah, he's definitely not a dream feed baby--I tried it a few times and all it did was wake us both up and make us cranky.

Before this schedule, he ate on demand. He used to eat every 2 hours, but now he goes more like 2-3--it worked out to about 8 or 9 feedings a day, plus the one bottle of expressed milk my husband gives. We haven't started any cereal or solids with him and don't plan to until 6 months, so no issue there!

Personally, I would ditch the LC, keep with the ped and maybe try to offer more often if I was concerned. In my opinion, I like to look at the whole picture. And the whole picture says your baby is healthy. Growing on his own curve, good diaper output, meeting milestones, happy....
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Well, it sounds to me like you and your baby are doing just fine! You could try a hybrid - let him do his thing at night and nap times (don't wake him to eat) but put him on the boob every 2 hours during the day. It sounds like he is growing on his own curve. I am completely empathic about trying to measure exactly how much LO is gaining per week, per month etc - I've got a little peanut too, she's 1 week shy of 9 months and she's maybe 15 1/2 lbs, which is something like 6%. But she is exceeding milestones and is SUCH a happy baby. I just decided (with help and support from the mamas on here) that she just is who she is, and as long as she continues to be happy and healthy, the number doesn't matter. I would just keep cuddling and nursing your DS and if the pedi says he's okay, then I think he's going to be just fine