Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged duct, nursing one side at a time???

Default Clogged duct, nursing one side at a time???

I am pretty sure I have a clogged duct, but I only nurse on one breast at each feeding... So how would I go about nursing him on the affected side as much as possible without my other breast being left out?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I want to get this cleared up ASAP!

Default Re: Clogged duct, nursing one side at a time???

If you've been doing one-sided feedings in order to control oversupply, you can relax about that for now. Deal with the plug first, then go back to coping with the oversupply. So, try offering both breasts for a while. If baby doesn't take both, try emptying the plug out with hand-expression or the pump. Make sure you vary your nursing position. Try dangle nursing (baby on her back, you on all fours above her- yeah, just like a cow!). And regardless of what the baby does, use lots of massage and moist heat (shower, bath, compresses on the nipple) to try to get the plug to release.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Smile Re: Clogged duct, nursing one side at a time???

I used to heat a wet washcloth in the microwave for a max of 10 secs. Place it on the clogged duct, the massage it in a circular pattern and down. Do this while you LO is nursing and it should be better within a day. You may have soreness and a white spot on your nipple where the clogged duct was at. This is normal. Also, always start LO on the affected breast first. If you nurse on the unaffected breast first, the clogged duct just becomes even more backed up due to your let down. Also, massage it in the shower. Hope this helps!

What do you think about feeding him only from the affected side today and pump the other side when he won't take it?

Sure, why not? Only danger is that you'll end up with clogs on both sides, since the pump tends not to empty the breast as well as the baby does. But I wouldn't consider that a likely event.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*geenabean View Post
    What do you think about feeding him only from the affected side today and pump the other side when he won't take it?
    That's what I've always done when I'm working out a clog. Worked for me and never caused any problems.

Thank for the advice ladies!