Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Almost 20 months old, overweight? Still nursing daily...

Default Re: Almost 20 months old, overweight? Still nursing daily..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    One thing I have noticed with both my kids is that they will chub up right before hitting a major growth spurt. One day they're looking a little pudgy, and the next week all their pants are too short! It may be that your LO went in and got measured right in that chubby window before a height spurt.
    I meant to say this and forgot.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yeah, we have parks. My son also has year-round allergies. He's been on allergy meds since he was 2.5 months old. So, though it's not completely ruled out, it's not something I'm comfortable doing so very often. Plus, its starting to get rather cold where we live. I'm just over-protective.

T.V time- too much. I know it shouldn't be more than maybe 2 hours per day. But it doesn't make me a bad parent for letting the t.v. be on for him to listen to. That's basically all he does. Then he gets mad (we are in the "terrible twos") if I turn it off, or change it to something for some down time fo my own.

I am ready to quit weaning myself. Yes, agreed. But I thought that it was a probable cause for him to be a bit heavier. That would've possibly helped me encourage myself to just do it and get it over with. Because, I also, don't want to take something so comforting away from my child.

OAN: My child is very intelligent. He also knows how to get his way. He understands most things that we tell/ask him. He may only be close to 20 months old, but if one where to observe him that didn't know him, they'd think he was at least 2.

Lol, this is a possiblity. That he was about to hit a growth spurt. He hasn't been eating well. Until yesterday. Maybe he's about to grow a bit taller. He wears 2T pants and 3T shirts. He's got a tummy, but it's not bad. Some of his pants tend to be a little shorter, but that all depends in the quality I believe.

Nobody is saying that you are a bad parent. I noticed with my older daughter that we had to severely limit TV to get her to stop asking for it. It creeped in the 2ish hour range when she was about 2.5 and had a new sister. We scaled it back to less than 45 minutes a day - three times of 15 minutes each. She had a lot of tantrums. But after a few days she let it go.

There have been studies that have said that it is not good to have background TV on all day because children do not move as much, even if they appear to be playing - when the TV is on.

Regardless of what else is going on, you need to get more activity for your child. If you're not comfortable doing that outside - then you need to find some way to get him active indoors. 20 month olds are not "couch potatoes." And they should not be. I have two severely obese nephews at 9 and 16 that were limited in physical activity by their parents for similar reasons to yours.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We believe his going to be a linemen on the football team. Lol... he's got a bit of a stocky build. But thank you ladies so much! You guys are swesome! This has been puzzling me for quite some time. Now, that I know it's not my fault, we can move foward.

Oh, and for the record, my plans on weaning are to let him decide. 4 months ago, he was trying to nurse 5-6 times daily.

I can totally understand having the tv on to listen to! But just a thought- how about radio or story CDs, instead? When I was a kid I used to listen to my Dad's collection of Lone Ranger records (yes, vinyl records: I am that old!), and I really wanted that on in the background while I was playing or coloring or whatever. The great thing about CDs/radio/records/tapes is that there's no advertising. Unless your tv is constantly tuned to CSPAN, your kid is picking up a lot of advertising, and a lot of that advertising is for food.

Again, not trying to "blame" you for something that may just be your kid's normal physiology- just trying to suggest something you might want to tweak.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We bought him a tricycle for Christmas. Its one you have to pedal. Exercise is not out of the question. I shall try to do better.

True that. I say as long as he's healthy, I'm not going to worry about it. As far as I know, he has no other health issues. He jsut has eczema and allergies. Oh, and ear-ventilation tubes. Lots of ear infections from birth-12 months. Idk why. Can you ladies see my profile pic? That is my LO, and his proud daddy.

LOL, you can't be that "old". We, also, have vinyls. But they are more current music. Not all would agree with our music, so I try to play the more alternative. No swearing, not too hardcore. More like some Led Zepplin, Incubus, and Kings Of Leon. Our vinyls are of things like; Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Tool (although he does listen to this). He seems to really enjoy Reggae music. So we turn on the Music Choice channels (again on the tv, but no advertisement or flashy things on the channels). Get some Reggae going, like; Bob Marley, Ziggy Marley, The Whailers, etc. But it doesn't last very long... he's finished within a few songs. I do have this teddy bear similar to Teddy Rumpskin (if I recall the name correctly). I forgot all about it, maybe I should try this... it's a storybook reader.

Also, I didn't answer someones question. Yes, this is my first. I am 26, his dad will be 30 next month. I'm VERY undecided about having any other LO's. At this moment, it's not an option for us. 4 years from now, maybe. But I'm just not sure that I want any more. I'm not being selfish toward my child in not giving him a playmate/sibling. I just don't see it in the works for a while.
    Last edited by @llli*jayvidsmommy2011; November 8th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Can't see the pic yet. Maybe the next time I log in!

Recurrent ear infections are usually about a kid's particular susceptibility rather than about anything you're doing/not doing. Some kids just have eustachian tubes that are a little easier to plug. But I think allergies may play a component- like if your kid's tonsil/adenoids are enlarged from allergies and are preventing proper ear drainage or something. It might be worth a conversation with your doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"