Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Almost 20 months old, overweight? Still nursing daily...

Default Re: Almost 20 months old, overweight? Still nursing daily..

He had ear ventilation tubal surgery back in July. No infections since.

Do you have a local rec center or YMCA? My kids go to gym time and love it, and it doesn't cost much. Just another thought for some opportunities for physical activity that won't aggravate your LO's allergies.

No YMCA, but we do have a rec center. Also, my sister-in-law just told me about our creatvie arts guild offering a class that's like a gym class for tots. I was unaware of this and I've lived here my entire life! Will check it out. Last thing I want is high cholestrol or something like that for my tot.

There's always a Wii or a Kinect. I may be out of the loop, maybe there's new things. It means more tv time sort of -- but at least some exercising and possibly problem-solving. I have some of the Just Dance series and it's a big hit when guests come over. I get out of breath with enough songs.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

I'm not sure what age kids start actually doing the Wii or Kinect things. We got a Kinect last year as our "family" gift and Lilah still won't do it. She likes to watch US do it and will tell us what to do, but it did not turn into a cold-weather activity like we thought it might.

Good luck with the gymnastics class. And going for a walk in Target or wherever works at this age too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Its more like a jog for him. I dont let him out of the cart unless his dad is with us. But, like I said before, I sometimes think I'm an overprotective mama.

My ds is 16 mo and also 34 in but only 28 lbs. He nurses at least 8 times a day and grazes all day long. I agree with looking closer at his diet. White flour in large amounts always makes me gain weight. Do you have a local library? check to see if they have a baby group. I take ds twice a week. We also have a membership to a children's science museum in our area. Ditto the trip to walmart/target. I'll buy something small like a dollar hotwheel for him or a suprise snack for dh. Then we just walk up and down the aisles for half an hour. Definitely cut back on the tv. I watched way too much mmyself as a child and was super chunky ds and I listen to the radio and vinyls all day. I also include him in daily chores. He stands on a chair and 'washes' dishes with me, loads and unloads the washer and dryer, sweeps and mops etc. no he doesn't do a perfect job but he's moving and interacting with me which teaches him loads more than those tv programs ever will. Good luck!

Also check out your local LLL group to see if they have a toddler playgroup like mine does. If not, start one up! We go to the park in the summer (i know you said you don't like parks but this is for example) and member's homes in the winter.

We also act out books (ie hop for bunnies, flap wings for birds).
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; November 8th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.

The Target/Walmart idea reminded me that two of our local malls have indoor play areas - basically indoor playgrounds.

I didn't mean to go there to go shopping. Just to let your baby walk around and get out of the house.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months