Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible GERD (in mommy!) and need meds. Must I stop BF?

Unhappy Terrible GERD (in mommy!) and need meds. Must I stop BF?

My throat burns, my esophagus burns. It's from coffee. When I was on maternity leave from Nov. - late Feb. with her I drank quite a bit, and over the summer when I was off from teaching I drank quite a bit. I'm to the point where I can't even have a few sips without terrible pain in my throat and esophagus. Pathetic.

I've been to the doctor once, 2 months ago. He put me on a med that was listed as 'unknown' for its compatability w/BF. It helped some but not a lot, plus I was still cheating by having coffee several days a week, like the damn addict that I am.

So. Since I don't want to die from esophageal cancer, I am going back to doc Monday. I'm worried that the next tier of meds he'll want to try will be stronger and less compatible w/BF; most of the ones he suggested before were not recommended for BF at all.

She's 11 mo., turns one the 25th of this month. We co-sleep and nurse a few times at night, once in the early morning, I pump once at work, then nurse in the evening.

Any experience w/this? Thanks.
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Terrible GERD (in mommy!) and need meds. Must I stop BF?

This may seem so obvious that it's straying into the realm of stupidity for me to ask, but have you tried Tums or some other calcium-based antacid? They're totally harmless.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah. I'm WAY beyond that. It helps somewheat with the pain to take Tums, but my throat needs helps. Probably serious help.
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

The thought of cancer is enough to scare you away from nursing - but not from drinking coffee? Is that what you are saying?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Have you called infant risk to talk to them about the medications?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    The thought of cancer is enough to scare you away from nursing - but not from drinking coffee? Is that what you are saying?
    No, no. I've stopped drinking coffee. It's only recently gotten this bad.
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Have you gotten endoscopy? Generally, if heartburn doesn't respond to medication, it may be worth having someone put a camera down to make sure that you do indeed have run of the mill reflux rather than a whole host of other crazy conditions (yeast infection of the esophagus, viral infection, something else).

2) As far as coffee, I am an addict just like you, but I think you need to re-evaluate your relationship with it. What about tea?
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you called infant risk to talk to them about the medications?
    Called who now?
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blue2000 View Post
    A couple of thoughts:

1) Have you gotten endoscopy? Generally, if heartburn doesn't respond to medication, it may be worth having someone put a camera down to make sure that you do indeed have run of the mill reflux rather than a whole host of other crazy conditions (yeast infection of the esophagus, viral infection, something else).

2) As far as coffee, I am an addict just like you, but I think you need to re-evaluate your relationship with it. What about tea?
    No endoscopy as of yet. The doc mentioned it last time; it may be time, I guess.

Yes. Coffee and I have broken up. It's over. We're done.
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"