Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think I gave my baby nipple confusion....such an idiot

Default Think I gave my baby nipple confusion....such an idiot

So my little one is 1 month tomorrow and cluster feeds for hours (6-12am). I eventually couldn't take it, it was stressing me out and I was falling asleep and so my husband was giving her a top up at the end of the session with a bottle. Last night was going particularly bad and he topped her up, a couple of times without telling me! Today she isn't feeding as good as she normally was. She's acting fussy at the breast and when I put her down and then falls asleep after only drinking a bit. I have forbidden bottles for now but is it too late? Can I fix this? Also, I just changed diapers and they are harder to tell wets! And I did notice the color of her poop was slightly greenish.

Default Re: Think I gave my baby nipple confusion....such an idiot

Are you pumping for those bottles? Or are you giving her formula?

Yes, you can fix this. But if you haven't been pumping, then you need to get your supply up as well as ditching the bottles.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Bm/formula. I usually pump but because she fed on/off for so long, I didn't think I needed to pump. Also, after my husband fed her, she slept right until 5am. I had to wake her to eat. She had finished feeding at 0130.

Anytime your baby gets a bottle that is formula and you don't pump, you are endangering your supply because it is a supply and demand system.

How is it going today? Has she been nursing? It is pretty normal for babies to cluster feed in the evenings. Have you tried nursing laying down?
    Tracie

Mommy to

She nursed off/on today but seemed really lazy at keeping at it/she was pulling off a lot and being fuzzy, which is not like her. it almost reminded me of a cluster feeding session. Also, I am wondering if she gets more access to the breast and feeds more during the day if it decreases her cluster feeding session in the evening. And now the sudden watery greenish poop - is this diarrhea? I haven't changed my diet.
    Also after my husband fed her last night she was out until about 0450 (finally fell asleep at 1230am). Before, she would be up after three hours to eat. Does this mean she wasn't getting enough from me? She rarely gets formula but last night she finished off what bm I had in the fridge.
    I just don't know what to do when she fusses like that for do long. She cries, pulls off my breast. Pushes me away. This goes on for hrs! Does this mean there isn't enough milk? Her diapers are always wet. How do I calm her?
    Last edited by @llli*bonniefleming; November 6th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Even if there isn't enough, the only way for your body to get the signal to MAKE MORE is by continually putting her to the breast. And was the Topp off that caused the long sleeping period formula? Because it suonds like it. It's NORMAL for breastfed babies to eat every 1-3 hours. Formula takes longer to digest and less of it is absorbed. So they go longer between feedings but it's because it's harder on their system, and they are busy turning more of it into poop. (Waste)So not only does formula throw off your supply and demand system because not only does your body miss the que to make more milk, when at the breast, but now she isn't quing you as soon as she normally would because she is busy trying to digest the formula.
    It's entirely possible that a child this young IS in fact showing nipple preference through fussiness. Especially if she is now used to getting a bottle in that time frame. You need to keep the baby at the breast. Flipping back and forth and Back and forth as needed.
    I would Pump 1st thing in the morning so that your DH has one bottle to feed her in the evening. And While he feeds the baby that bottle you should take a NAP. And then mentally plan for the marathon nursing sesssion between midight and 6am. Come to the party after a nap and be ready to feed on demand all.night.long. Just wrap your mind around it. It's not gonna go on forever and it's not worth jeapordizing your supply. But especially if you are home with the baby and you can begin to learn to nap with your baby, you should take this time to make sure that your body makes as much as your baby needs. And the only way to do that is to feed through the marathon session. Good luck! And keep us posted!

Way too lazy for formula

It certainly is not too late to fix nipple confusion, assuming that is even what is happening. It will help if you and your husband can feel confident baby is getting enough even if she is fussy at the breast and changing nursing behavior, which is entirely normal. How much has your baby gained from her lowest known weight? (Not birth weight, lowest weight?) If weight gain is normal, then you are fine. Poops are something to look at when you are unsure of weight gain between weight checks. If your baby is gaining appropriately and/or pooping about 3 times a day or more, that tells you baby is doing well and there is likely no reason to even concern yourself about wet diapers. Formula supplements will change poop patterns, consistency, color etc.

Assuming baby is gaining normally, I suggest, stick to your guns about stopping supplementing. If you are exhausted from the cluster feeding ask your husband to take baby and comfort baby some other way than 'topping off." Babies have an intense need to suckle and will nurse for comfort, this is normal, and generally you want to allow baby plenty of nursing time, as this very frequent nursing which is normal in the early weeks lets baby get enough milk and builds your milk production which you want to be doing at this point. But when you need a break, fine to let your husband give you a break, which he can do without supplementing baby.
    ideas for dad: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 7th, 2012 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    It certainly is not too late to fix nipple confusion, assuming that is even what is happening. It will help if you and your husband can feel confident baby is getting enough even if she is fussy at the breast and changing nursing behavior, which is entirely normal. How much has your baby gained from her lowest known weight? (Not birth weight, lowest weight?) If weight gain is normal, then you are fine. Poops are something to look at when you are unsure of weight gain between weight checks. If your baby is gaining appropriately and/or pooping about 3 times a day or more, that tells you baby is doing well and there is likely no reason to even concern yourself about wet diapers. Formula supplements will change poop patterns, consistency, color etc.

Assuming baby is gaining normally, I suggest, stick to your guns about stopping supplementing. If you are exhausted from the cluster feeding ask your husband to take baby and comfort baby some other way than 'topping off." Babies have an intense need to suckle and will nurse for comfort, this is normal, and generally you want to allow baby plenty of nursing time, as this very frequent nursing which is normal in the early weeks lets baby get enough milk and builds your milk production which you want to be doing at this point. But when you need a break, fine to let your husband give you a break, which he can do without supplementing baby.
    ideas for dad: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf

I think things are much better. No bottles now x 2 nights!

Tracie

Mommy to