Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding problems

Unhappy Feeding problems

Hi, I have a three days old baby, at the hospital he was given a bottle after being 6 hours with not eating because I did not have any milk, I continue giving him bottle milk, cause I did not have anything on my breast, I star pumping right away and putting him on my breast so I can stimulate the milk flow, now I have milk and my baby still does not latch on he gets frustrated and very angry, I really want to breastfeed I do not know if I'm doing something wrong , please help!!!

Default Re: Feeding problems

Well there is never really any milk the 1st few days. The baby lives off colostrum the first days. It's very very nutrient dense but there isn't very much of it. And in order to get your regular milk to come in you need to let the baby STAY at your breast constantly. Your body is probably very very confused right now. How often are you pumping and putting him to the breast? Because it needs to be constant. You need to be pumping 10-12 time a day at least if you are going to go that route. But I encourage you to just keep the baby at your breast. Really 6 hours without eating on day one is not a reason to panic or supplement. My son didn't eat for 24hour after birth because he was so sleepy from the drugs from the c-section. My nurses didn't panic and neither did I. Because of the c-section my milk didn't come in until day 5. He lived on colostrum alone for 5 days. You are totally in the realm of normal. So back off the supplements and let the baby suckle at your breast as often as he is awake. Your milk could come in at any time. But it won't show if your breasts don't get the stimulation they need. And the less bottle feeding you do the less likely your child is to develop nipple preference. So spend all day in bed with him. Skin to skin all day. And just let him nurse as often as he will. Don't freak out if he cries. You have been giving him food an easier way. So he is going to fuss. But you WANT him to do the work that is involved in latching and sucking. So let him foget that there is an easier way. Hungry babies latch and eat. So let him fuss some. And keep shoving your nipple in his mouth. He'll get it.

Way too lazy for formula

There is no reason to think you cannot make enough milk to breastfeed. It's time to get baby on the breast, and until that happens, keep pumping.

Do you have ANY support/help where you are-La Leche League, board certified lactation consultants, family members or friends who nursed their babies? It may be comforting to meet with someone for some one to one help of some kind…reach out to anyone you think might be able to help. .

This article has very good ideas. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ I also like this simple ‘guide to latching you baby’ http://cwgenna.com/qhcontent.html#latch

You can do this, it’s very early days. Your baby and you were made to breastfeed, you just got a little off track due to some very questionable feeding practices at your hospital.

Thank you very much for the advices, I'm doing pumping 8 times a day and still I only get 1/2 ounces of colostrum each pump, I will get my baby skin to skin right away and follow the advice thank you both.Regarding support I don't have it, I will try to get in contact with a lactation consultant to see if they can help too.

If all you have is colostrum, feed it to him. It's VERY VERY important. And as I said a baby can live on it for DAYS.

Way too lazy for formula

ok in op you said 'now i have milk' so i assumed that meant your milk had begun to become more abundant.

Colustrum is the first milk, it is what is in the breasts at birth and as pp says it is very important for baby's health and for the first few days it is all a baby (usually) needs, and it is typically scant.

Expressing 8 times a day is great, pumping is very tiring and much harder than nursing. Just be aware a newborn would typically nurse even more often than that in the early weeks.
    I hope you have a very good pump, but as long as baby starts nursing very soon the pump will be irrelevant.
    you will probably only need an ibclc if you cannot get baby latched and nursing on your own.