Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about weaning, but not very happy about it

Default Re: Thinking about weaning, but not very happy about it

I have been taking 3-4 1200 mg capsules of lecithin a day for a few months now. I really don't think it's helping me much at this point. I thought it was initially, but not so much anymore.

I am struggling to pump enough during the day because of the plugs that I keep getting. I feel if I didn't have plugs I would have no problem keeping up with the pumping. I have never, however, been able to pump way more than she needs. I'm pretty spot on (about 15-16 oz a day).

No, I do not wear a bra to bed, and never an underwire. I usually wear a nursing tank top that has a shelf bra, but it is no way constricting in the breast area. It doesn't really seem to matter what I wear for my nipples, though. They are always smashed sideways. I really need one of those Madonna Vogue era bras, lol.

It's not a bad idea to pump at night for her bottles, but I also have this bad habit of needing sleep occasionally.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic with your bad habit of needing sleep occasionally comment. But if you nurse her at night instead of pumping - then you will need less milk for her bottles. Neither of my children slept through the night at 7 months, I can tell you that. I have a very intellectually demanding job and I "need sleep occasionally" too. BUT somehow, I've managed to survive the past 4 years on broken sleep. And I can tell you that I get up way more than once per night.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I can see how pumping during the night might up supply unnecessarily, but if you actually nurse the baby, it should even out. If baby eats once during the night, then she may eat less during the day. That would give you less of a long stretch to build up plugs during the night.

I agree that in theory if I nurse her more at night she will need less bottles during the day. However, in practice I have a mother-in-law and a daycare who seem to think I am starving her to death by only providing 4 16oz bottles for an 8 hour period. This is not true. I know this. You know this. It doesn't matter what I say or how much I tell them that they are wrong.

I really didn't think anybody would be able to help me, but I thought it was worth a try. I appreciate everybody's concern and suggestions. I'm not sure what I will do, but I can pretty much guarantee it will be painful and less than satisfying on some front.

If you don't set boundaries with caregivers of your child at 7 months, you're going to be fighting battles on other fronts for the next 18 years.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Did I misread, or did you mean 4 16 oz bottles? (I'm guessing you meant 4 4oz bottles?)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luxxia View Post
    . However, in practice I have a mother-in-law and a daycare who seem to think I am starving her to death by only providing 4 16oz bottles for an 8 hour period.
    OMG, please tell me this is a typo. 4 16 oz bottles?!!! You mean 4 bottles of 6 oz a piece. Right? Because 16 oz is enough for an entire day's worth of 2-4 oz bottles.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi luxxia,

My daughter's a few weeks younger than yours.

I don't have much in the way of advice, but something to think about is that even if she is sleeping through the night now, that doesn't mean that it's here to stay. My daughter slept (gloriously) through the night for six weeks straight and all that went out the window when she started teething. Sleep regression is very common so you might consider that this is temporary. So even if she's not nursing during the night now, she might still do that in the future. In my mind, if you wean her, then you would lose the ability to use nursing to calm her and you'd have to deal with getting formula bottles ready in the middle of the night.

Lol, yes, I meant 4 4oz bottles. I'm a little distressed today.

I can't set boundaries with my MIL because she is literally a crazy person. I am less than pleased that she watches my daughter two days a week, but unfortunately day care in our area is extravagantly expensive.

Sorry, mama. Don't know what I'd less rather have- a crazy MIL or bad plugs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"