Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pain in one nipple

Default pain in one nipple

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, but have been to a few LLL meetings in my area. I have to say, the support has been lifesaving!

My DD is 11 weeks old and I'm EBF her. I've had pain since the beginning and was prescribed APNO which I used for a few days, and then the lactation consultant at the hospital told me to stop and just use my own breastmilk. Nursing was excruciating for the first couple of weeks. I contacted a LLL leader who was very helpful - I thought that I might have a yeast infection, even though DD had no signs of thrush. I started taking probiotics and grapefruit seed extract, and using the APNO again. My gyne said no, I didn't have thrush - he was very unhelpful in terms of the pain I was having. Said that no one would examine my breasts while I was nursing, as they're constantly changing, and that hopefully the pain would get better as I went along. Even my family doctor, when I mentioned the deep breast pain that I was having, said that it was probably just the milk ducts filling up.

Anyways, with the help of my LLL we figured out that DD had a lip tie and a posterior tongue tie, and when she was 9 weeks, I finally got to a dentist that released it using laser (required a long trip, but worth it). Things have been a little slow to get better, but there's definitely been some improvements. Her latch is still a little shallow at times - she still clicks sometimes and loses suction and needs to be relatched. I was still having some deep breast pain and some nipple blanching, so I started taking the Magnesium, Calcium and Vitamin B complex as per Dr. Jack Newman's website, and I switched to decaf coffee. The deep breast pain is much better, and I can nurse on the left side pretty much pain free (the nipple blanching was never as bad on that side). However, in the past couple days my right nipple is super painful again, and blanched quite a bit of the time, though it doesn't come out of her mouth blanched. I take care not to get cold, I've been using hot compresses and taking Ibuprofen, but nothing really seems to help. I'm just wondering if this could be Raynaud's of the nipple and do I need to get a script for Nifedipine? Does anyone know if it's possible to have Raynaud's in just one nipple? Any help would be appreciated - I dread having to nurse her on the right side, it's so painful.

Thanks!

Default Re: pain in one nipple

pain on one side only is indeed a frustrating obstacle to an otherwise satisfying breastfeeding relationship.
    you are so smart to get help early on and to not allow pain to go unattended.
    If your milk supply is good, your baby is capable of stimulating a plentiful milk supply. that is the good news!
    from all you are describing it does sound as though your LO could improve her latch and therefore relieve you of this enduring pain.
    i have heard of mothers using their clean upturned finger to let the baby suck on to help bring the babys tongue down and forward.
    Do you think that might help?
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

According to this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/ it is possible to have Raynaud's in just one nipple, though it is rare. My guess would be that your blanching issue is related to the baby's latch, rather than to Raynaud's, because one side has already improved as the baby has grown. My rationale is that if this were Raynaud's, you wouldn't see improvement without recourse to Nifedipine.

When the baby unlatches, is the nipple ridged/wedged/creased/shaped like a new lipstick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The nipple is slightly pinched at the sides when it comes out of her mouth, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks like a new lipstick. However, I do have creases along the base of the nipple, but that's all the time since I started BF, not just when it comes out of her mouth. Why would her latch be ok on one nipple and not the other? I've tried getting her to suck on my finger as suggested above, but she doesn't seem to tolerate it. Is there anything else I can do at this point to improve her latch?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    The nipple is slightly pinched at the sides when it comes out of her mouth, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it looks like a new lipstick. However, I do have creases along the base of the nipple, but that's all the time since I started BF, not just when it comes out of her mouth. Why would her latch be ok on one nipple and not the other?
    Often there's an anatomical difference between the two breasts in the length of the nipple or- more accurately- the degree to which the nipple is held flat by adhesions beneath the skin surface. Ideally, the nipple sits all the way on the back of the tongue, almost at the opening to the throat, underneath the soft palate, where there is relatively little tongue motion. When the nipple is a little bit short/flat, that means the nipple doesn't reach all the way to the back of the tongue, and instead sits on the front of the tongue underneath the hard palate, where it is compressed and hurt. This is why a latch can be great on one side and not so great on another- and a pinched-looking or creased nipple indicates a last problem.

I've tried getting her to suck on my finger as suggested above, but she doesn't seem to tolerate it. Is there anything else I can do at this point to improve her latch?
    See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for help with the latch. Try the "sandwich" technique (you can google it for a better explanation of it than I can provide). And give baby some time! The smaller the baby, the harder it is for her to take a deep "bite" of breast. But she'll grow, and her mouth will grow.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that about the anatomical differences in nipples...I guess it makes sense! I have made an appointment at the breastfeeding clinic at the Health Unit on Thursday...hopefully they'll be able to help me with the latch issues.