Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Difficulty, please help

Default Difficulty, please help

I am a new mom. I just had my baby girl on October 29th. I was trying to breastfeed and she did really well the first few days while I was in the hospital, but once I had to start supplementing a little formula at each feeding she will not latch on anymore. She liked my right side over the left side from the get go, but now she wont really take on either side. I mean she will for just a minute and then she starts fighting with it. I gave up for 2 days, but I want her to be breastfed so bad; I pumped today and only got 3oz from both sides combined. How can I get her back on me or at least get my milk production up for pumping?

Default Re: Difficulty, please help

Can you give us a little info on why you started supplementing with formula? Often new moms fall into the trap of thinking they need to supplement when things are actually proceeding normally. However, if you've been supplementing entirely for a few days at this point, you may have some work to do to get back on track. There is some really great information on a website called Kellymom that can help you:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

I was under the impression from the nurses at the hospital that I wasnt producing enough of anything to keep my baby full and so the nurses said I should give her formula at each feeding to help keep her full. It worked really well, but since we started that she takes less and less interest in my breasts and refuses to nurse; she only wants a bottle. So for the past 2 days all I gave her was formula because I was so discouraged. But I really want her to breastfeed. I tried to get her on today but she fought and refused

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmommy1029 View Post
    I was under the impression from the nurses at the hospital that I wasnt producing enough of anything to keep my baby full and so the nurses said I should give her formula at each feeding to help keep her full.
    Oh, that makes me SO ANGRY! The nurses totally sabotaged you. As medical professionals, they should be aware of the following facts about breastfeeding:
    1. It is normal for milk production to begin 2-5 days postpartum. Most moms will not have mature milk in the hospital.
    2. Colostrum, the first milk produced by the breast, is present in small amounts even before birth.
    3. Newborns have very small stomachs, which are designed to take in small amounts of colostrum.
    4. Colostrum provides all the nutrition a baby needs until milk comes in.
    5. Introducing bottles or pacis to newborns can interfere with the baby's desire and ability to latch and can lead to reduced nursing, which can delay milk production beyond the normal 2-5 days.

I made that list not because I want you to feel bad, but because I hope that someday you'll write a letter to the hospital letting them know exactly how they hurt your breastfeeding relationship with your baby!

The best thing you can do now is to get some hands-on help from a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. I also suggest checking out this link about getting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. As you attempt to get the baby back to the breast, keep this in mind: a newborn should not be eating more than 2-3 oz at a time. If you can get 3 oz from both breasts combined, there is nothing wrong with your supply. Keep the bottles very small- 1-2 oz at a time. Try giving the baby an oz from the bottle (or cup, syringe, etc.; alternate feeding methods are preferable to bottles!) and then, when she is calmer but still hungry, try offering the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi Mama! I'm SO glad that you are trying to get your baby back to the breast, it is the BEST thing you can do for your child! Pumping 3 oz at this point is WONDERFUL! I think I pumped about .5 oz in the beginning, so don't be discouraged Good advice from mommal - you'll get your baby back, just be patient! Keep up the good work

You have a week old baby and you can pump three ounces??? That suggests your milk production is fine. A baby this age only typically takes about 1.5-2.5 ounces at a time. (a baby this age should be nursing 10 times OR MORE each 24 hour cycle) You can almost certainly stop all supplementing and nurse your baby. Watch output and go in for frequent weight checks if you are concerned your baby is not getting enough.

Def. check out that back to breast article mommal linked above. I agree with mommal, since you want to get baby back on the breast asap, I also suggest seek professional help from an IBCLC and contact your local LLL or other breastfeeding support organizations.

What is normal in the early weeks: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Simple latch pictorial showing relaxed ‘laid back’ positioning: http://cwgenna.com/qhcontent.html#latch