Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I teach my toddler to nap without nursing?

Default How do I teach my toddler to nap without nursing?

My toddler is 27 months old and I still breastfeed her. We also cosleep and she only falls asleep while nursing (although she sometimes falls asleep in her car seat when we're driving and she's really tired). I'm in no hurry to wean her and hope that she will self-wean when she's ready.

My issue is that my work situation has changed. I used to work from home exclusively so I could nurse her to sleep both for her afternoon nap and at night. But I have to go to an office now and although my boss has been flexible (I'm currently working in the office from 9 to 1 and from home the rest of the afternoon), I will be required to be at the office full-time (9 to 5) in the near future.

How do I teach my toddler to fall asleep without nursing for her naps?

I want to make the transition as smooth as possible for her. Is there something I can start doing while I still have the chance to be here in the afternoons? My husband takes care of her during the day so he will be the one putting her down to sleep.

Sorry for the long-winded question. I really appreciate any advice. I'm agonizing over this!

Default Re: How do I teach my toddler to nap without nursing?

My thought is that your husband and daughter will figure out their own routine on their own. I wouldn't worry about it myself. She is old enough to understand that if you are not there that she will not nurse. What does your husband think?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe I just need to trust that they will work something out.
    He thinks that she'll cry when she's tired because she's so used to coming back from her morning outings to find me here ready to put her to sleep.

She might cry the first few times, but she also might not. It's hard to say. Have you talked to her about it? If she knows it is coming, she may be sad about you not being there, but I bet she and her dad can come up with a comforting routine. They could read books and he could snuggle her to sleep. Or something else that is fun and special for the two of them. My husband started putting my first daughter to sleep at night when she was about 21 months old and it was hard at first, but they both treasure that time now. And he started putting my 21 month old to nap on weekends sometimes and there were no issues.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months