Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lopsided milk production!

Default Lopsided milk production!

I don't know how or when exactly this came to be (I've been breast feeding for 6 months now), but since I've been back at work for the last month my right side is producing 1 - 2 ounces and the left anywhere from 2 - 4 when I pump. When I nurse her she now has a preference for the left, so it may be perpetuating the problem. At night I feel empty on the right and engorged on the left. I try to get her to feed as much on the right, but nothing's changed-- I may just be giving in an favoring the left now, too. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Lopsided milk production!

I think lots of mamas find that one breast produces a little more than the other, then the baby tends to prefer that side, so the supply increases on that side, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. I try to offer baby the non-preferred side more to even things out (though, for example, I'll give the favored side for the bedtime feeding). You can also try pumping the right side for longer than the left.

Mine have always been uneven. For the first 3-4 months, it was my right producing more (up to 2x more) than the left. I think baby actually developed a preference for the left side, because the letdown on the right was so strong and the engorgement might have made it harder for him to latch/nurse. Now (at 6 mos) it has flip-flopped, and the left produces more than the right! Agree with PP that you can offer baby the non-preferred side first, which will boost production, but it might be a gradual process (obviously for me, this effect took several months, although it was not a conscious thing on our part, so if you are intentional about it, it might happen faster?).

Yes, I think it used to be the reverse for me too, with the right producing more. I'm just concerned it's progressing further in the wrong direction-- my right often feels soft. I would think that pumping until empty would help boost it, since I'm pumping 4x/day right now...I guess I can try to offer it first every time and try to get her to stick with it rather than fuss!
    Thanks!