Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh Milk vs. Frozen milk

Default Re: Fresh Milk vs. Frozen milk

If there's a lipase issue, there's not much you can do about the already frozen milk, but if you think that's the case, you might want to scald the milk that you're freezing going forward. Here's the kellymom link for lipase: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/. But I wouldn't make the assumption that there is a lipase issue because your son doesn't drink a whole 5 ounce bottle - that's a lot. 2-3 ounces is more like what most babies typically drink from the breast. Does the milk smell/taste soapy?

I've never had trouble w/ lipase, but from what I've understood, babies will reject it altogether. Your baby taking 2-3/5 oz tells me he/she (sorry, can't remember which) doesn't need 5oz, which is rather a lot, really. Most bf babies take 3-4oz max.

I'd for sure use up the frozen milk. It doesn't have as many antibodies, but that stuff is liquid gold! What I did was starting around 5-6 mos, I'd use one frozen and 2-3 fresh each day, starting with the oldest frozen milk.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I've never had trouble w/ lipase, but from what I've understood, babies will reject it altogether. Your baby taking 2-3/5 oz tells me he/she (sorry, can't remember which) doesn't need 5oz, which is rather a lot, really. Most bf babies take 3-4oz max.

I'd for sure use up the frozen milk. It doesn't have as many antibodies, but that stuff is liquid gold! What I did was starting around 5-6 mos, I'd use one frozen and 2-3 fresh each day, starting with the oldest frozen milk.
    but i wont need her to have bottles every day. only fri sat and sun. sunday afternoon through thurs evening she will be with me and nursing.

i think i am going to start using some of the august frozen milk first to get rid of that, and go from there.

i have so much of it my DH is like...you have enough in there for TWO YEARS!!! He doesnt get it lol....

hes like quit storing it, we have no more room for it...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jhowell View Post
    but i wont need her to have bottles every day. only fri sat and sun. sunday afternoon through thurs evening she will be with me and nursing.

i think i am going to start using some of the august frozen milk first to get rid of that, and go from there.

i have so much of it my DH is like...you have enough in there for TWO YEARS!!! He doesnt get it lol....

hes like quit storing it, we have no more room for it...
    I'll be more specific. Friday you pump; Saturday you give one frozen bag and whatever else from Friday that you pumped - anything extra goes in the fridge. Saturday you have pumped; you give that Sunday, less one frozen from your stash. Sunday's milk will still be good Friday w/o freezing, so use that the following Friday.

An alternative would be to use all frozen milk on Friday, and fresh milk on Sat/Sun. It'll end up being about the same amount.

Mine didn't get it either. I quite literally filled up 2/3 of our freezer w/ milk @ some point. I will say that from 3-6 mos, I was making extra milk; from 6-9 mos I was keeping pace exactly; then starting around 9 mos w/ both older kiddos, my pump output started dwindling down, to where I was having to use frozen milk to make up the deficit 1-2 days, then 2-3 days, then every day. YMMV, but that was my experience. Point being, don't worry about cutting back right away - you can always buy an extra freezer like I did
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos