Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1st Timer...

Default 1st Timer...

My son in 28 months old and he is a nursing toddler. He usually nurses to sleep for his daytime nap, also at night and of course in the mornings. So, as you can see, he is still fond of nursing and I am fine with that so no problem there. He does occassionally fall asleep without nursing and has been a little more interested in solids lately. We (the parents) are musicians and we are about to travel without our son for about 5 nights/6 days. He will be staying with family. He does not take a bottle, so should I be pumping so that my family can try to get him to sleep with a cup of breastmilk or will he be fine when I am not around...???
    I would love some input on this.

Default Re: 1st Timer...

Welcome to the forum!

At 28 months, I don't think you have to pump prior to your trip. Your family will find their own way to get your toddler to sleep, and breastmilk probably isn't an essential part of his bedtime routine since he's already skipping it from time to time. That being said, if you can pump ahead of time, it won't hurt to leave some milk for your toddler. Who knows- maybe it will help your family care for your LO when he's missing you. And of course you'll want to bring your pump on your trip. 5 days without nursing or pumping might leave you engorged, with a plugged duct, or with very low/nonexistant supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much. This is very helpful and it's so nice to communicate with people that are in support of extended breastfeeding. I encounter a lot of negativity, but now I feel even more empowered!

agree with mommal. have fun on your trip!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.