Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what comes next

Default what comes next

Hi Ladies,

We are very nearly to the one year mark--4 more weeks. I have really enjoyed breastfeeding lately and am looking forward to continuing until baby decides to wean. I feel like I got loads of information about breastfeeding in the first year--what to expect, problems and possible solutions, etc.--but I haven't been able to find anything on the practicalities of breastfeeding a 12+ month old (only articles on the benefits and dealing with people's reactions).

So, could anyone direct me to some resources that might help me learn a bit more about the possible approaches to breastfeeding past a year? Some questions I have are about how much solid food he'll need, if we need to introduce cow's milk, if we need to monitor bm intake if I nurse on demand, how long it is "safe" to go between feeds to protect supply, if/how I can cut down on pumping at work (2 days/week), etc. I know that it can look different for every person, so I'm just looking for some general resources. I missed my local meeting on weaning and introducing solids (which is where I expect they would have addressed some of this) and the next one isn't until well past the first birthday. We do have an older babies' meeting that I go to as well....but it is only once a month, so will be awhile before the next one where I can ask.

I do have one specific question as well--I've heard that you can set more boundaries with nursing past a year and that this could sometimes mean longer stretches without nursing and that this is okay. Is it okay because a dip in your supply is no longer a problem as it isn't baby's primary nutrition or is your supply considered so well established at that point that an occasional longer stretch is no big deal?

Thanks!

Default Re: what comes next

well, i just found a few things on kellymom that were good and helpful. but, i'd still like to hear about any other resources you have found helpful.

i guess i mostly just wonder how breastfeeding is different after a year....certainly they don't just wake up on their 1st birthday and begin to nurse in a totally different way. i guess it's just a gradual process with the main difference being that i don't have to be quite so militant about making sure he is nursing 6-8 times a day, etc.? are diaper output indicators the same after 1 year?

I stopped pumping with both my girls when they were a year. And I don't remember when I stopped worrying about wet diapers, but that was well before a year. You get to make up the rules as you go. With my 21 month old, I nurse on demand, still, but that looks more like 4 to 5 times during the day when I am home and then every couple hours overnight. She eats (sort of) three meals a day and two snacks. Some days she doesn't eat much. I don't really pay much attention - we offer food, she eats it or doesn't. I have recently started only nursing at home - although if she really needs to nurse and we are out and about, I will nurse her. It seems like a lot of women get their baby down to a just before nap, just before bed and upon wake up nursing kind of schedule. I haven't done that, but could see myself doing that if nursing started to bother me.

You don't have to introduce cow's milk, but you can. It's up to you.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

As you had said before, my son didn't wake up one day and realize he's 1 and has to change his nursing habits. We did cut back to 3 feeds a day for a while, not really me, just sort of happened with me working. I did notice our typical positions changed. I had to practically lie down b/c the cradle hold wasn't practicle for us anymore. I guess basically watching the diaper output, I never counted, he always seemed to poop and pee pretty regualr and his weight gain was good. I didn't really care about nursing in public because he never really asked when we were out he was too busy! All babies are different though. I packed my pump away at 11 months but I had a good supply and my son didn't notice any difference. I gave coconut milk when he turned 1 and I couldn't be around to nurse. my personally opinion was that the cows milk would be too hard to switch to right after breastmilk. Once again because his stomach didn't know he turned 1..
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

I found this book really helpful Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner http://store.llli.org/public/profile/154

what was most helpful was practical issues like what word for nursing you use, because whether or not you decide to nurse in public, or want to involve yourself in public debate of the issue, it will be important to use a word you are comfortable with for other people to hear (and hear it shouted across a public space ;-)
    Until he was about three he would actually ask for it sometimes in front of other people and I was glad I chose a word people did not immediately understand. As English is not our mother tongue I can't give a good example, but personally I would not have been happy if he would call it boobs or tits but we use a word which sounds like "kiss" in our language and so people thinks he is saying he wants a kiss.
    I stopped nursing him during the day when he was about 3, and in public when he was about 2. He is now four and only nurses when he goes to bed at night.

I think the biggest differnce also for me was I stopped worrying entirely about supply/intake/frequency. I think at that age about 1 year, the longest he would go without nursing was 7 to 8 hours. But it made no difference to my supply that I noticed.

how much solid food he'll need, if we need to introduce cow's milk,
    I remember at 12 months he ate lots, all kinds. For a while he would skip breakfast and prefer to nurse instead. I never purposely introduced cow's milk, only other dairy products. To this day he does not drink much cow's milk as he does not like it. He is now 4 but he still does not like cow's milk, only butter milk or yoghurt or other dairy products.
    if we need to monitor bm intake if I nurse on demand, how long it is "safe" to go between feeds to protect supply
    I did not monitor it, and I think the longest at that age between feeds was about 7-8 hours. But then I never dripped or felt engorged, ever. So this was not a problem, adn there was always milk when he wanted it.

I do have one specific question as well--I've heard that you can set more boundaries with nursing past a year and that this could sometimes mean longer stretches without nursing and that this is okay. Is it okay because a dip in your supply is no longer a problem as it isn't baby's primary nutrition or is your supply considered so well established at that point that an occasional longer stretch is no big deal?
    I think it is both. If there was a dip in supply it wont be such an issue and also your supply is established.

As your child grows older supply etc is less in focus than circumstances of nursing, I think. Such issues as public nursing, other's opinions etc may become more of an issue now.

Also, what I think changes is that yes you can set boundaries and in fact you need to to remain sane. I staid home until my boy was three, last year, and it was not always easy to set some limits. But if I had not, I wold have gone crazy. As I mentioned, I stopped nursing him in public when he was about two, I think.

I never thougt i could nurse past 6 months, and here we are still nursing 42 months later - so be encouraged.
    Last edited by @llli*mammi; November 6th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

i second the suggestion of the book mothering your nursing toddler. LOTS of wonderful mothering wisdom, breastfeeding related and otherwise!

my biggest suggestion-keep following your heart, your instincts, and your child's communication. yes of course you can start setting limits-gentle discipline often naturally begins at the breast.
    but a 13 month old is very different from a 23 month old. 'toddler' covers ground as vast if not more vast than 'baby.' And of course, your child and you are entirely unique.

the toddler years were very challenging for me as a parent. I am endlessly grateful i nursed my kids through them.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 6th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I'll definitely check out that book. In general, I am very happy to just follow his lead, but would like a few bits of information just to make me feel a bit more informed. I am really enjoying our breastfeeding relationship right now and hope to continue this for a good while to come!