Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dull Pain Radiating Around Right Breast

Default Dull Pain Radiating Around Right Breast

DS is 9 months old, and we are going strong.

I don't know if this would be related to breastfeeding, but since it is a major thing my breasts are doing right now, it could possibly be related, so I thought I would ask you ladies if you have experienced anything similar.

I am having some pain that is a dull radiating pain that starts from my right side near/between the base of my breast and my right armpit. It radiates out from that spot to about the right half of my breast, above it, to my armpit, and around my shoulder. Has anyone experienced this? It's uncomfortable enough that I am not sure I can properly care for my 9 month old and my 3 year old once my husband goes to work for the evening.

Default Re: Dull Pain Radiating Around Right Breast

Oh, and I have been putting a heating pad on the area, and I just took some Ibuprofen.

Is it only when you nurse or all the time? when did it start?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I would say that it sounds like a clogged duct or mastitis. Has your baby bitten you lately, hard enough to break the skin? That can cause mastitis. When I had mastitis (my daughter was only 2 weeks old) I had pain on the entire side of my body. It hurt to move. I suggest some hot compresses and a hot shower where you massage the entire area.

Agree with PPs that it could be mastitis. I had mastisis a few months ago and it felt similar to what you are describing ... it got progressively worse until I took some antibiotics (there are safe ones for breastfeeding) and I very quickly had a 180 degree turnaround. It could also be your lymph node (you have one in that general area). Lymph nodes can get inflamed from a variety of illnesses/conditions. Regardless, maybe go see your doctor? Sometimes mastisis will not go away on its own, even with the most attentive home care, and if it's something else, it might be a good idea to get a medical opinion. I know what a drag it is to try to care for your baby and yourself at the same time when you are not 100%, and how hard it can be to find time to get to the doctor, but it's worth it to get back to good health. Good luck.

I agree with mercystreet, especially if the pain continues or gets worse. Have you had a fever? I had a wicked bad fever with mastitis too. I ended up with it in both breasts and had to be on antibiotics for 2 weeks.