Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some help...Don't think milk has "come in" after a week

Default Need some help...Don't think milk has "come in" after a week

I am a fisrt time mom to a beautiful baby boy who was born a week late...having to have an emergency c-section. He latched pretty good in the hospital, but never seemed to get full and be satisfied. I was so tired and sick to my stomach after the surgery that we ended up supplementing him with some formula. I feel i really screwed up. He now has an insatiable appetite and doesnt get full at the breast. We attempt to nurse at feedings but still feel like he needs more. I have started pumping to at least supplement him with my own milk but I dont feel like my milk has "come in" like its supposed to. I dont feel fullness or seem to making enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to wean off the formula and exclusively breastfeed!

Default Re: Need some help...Don't think milk has "come in" after a

You need to let him stay at the breast. It's normal for newborns to be insatiable. They are working on instinct to get your milk to come in and then establish supply. In order to do this they literally eat around the clock. 10-12 times a day and often feed last 40 min to an hour. It's all supply and demand. Your baby is in "Demand" mode. Allow him full unlimited access to your breasts. If he pulls off and seems still hungry or hungry a short time late (which all NORMAL) flip breasts. If you continually supplement your body isn't getting the correct number of ques. So let him feed ALL. DAY. LONG. Like get up in the morning with one goal in mind. "Feed The Baby." That's it. That's your job right now. And his job is to get you to make enough milk. Set up a nursing station. And PLAN to be there all day long. You will need to spend weeks in this stance. We all spend the 1st 3-6 weeks AT LEAST in our PJ's on the couch feeding the kid. I got up to pee and change diapers. And get more food. That's it. So if you go into it knowing that your child is going to be continually latched and this allowing him access is the single most important thing you can do to establish supply in the early weeks, it won't seem so overwhelming. Good Luck. And keep us posted!

Way too lazy for formula

I agree with DJsmom. Also, this is a good resource:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

duplicate post, sorry

I agree with PP but also want to add a few things if that's okay. I called it a nursing vacation. I collected collected chargers for my wireless devices. Tissues, snacks, magazines, books etc. Everrytime we did this I perfected it just a little more. Hubby bought me special treats every now and then and just left us alone. Let me do my thing. The lll ladies were here when we ran into hiccups. But I packed that pump away and never thought of it again until I went back to work. Be easy on yourself, drink plenty of water and like djsmom said, this is your job right now. It is tough, but so worth it. My LO is 27 weeks now and when she rubs my upper chest while she nurses or smacks her lips, I know how greatful she is. I know my sacrafice was nothing, I would do it again ten fold. Any day of the week. Stick with it and know there's a whole network of mommys here who have probably already been through it. Even if you just need to rant and rave. I don't know any other nursing mommys, and its real hard for me to get to meetings. So this place, this forum feels like home sometimes. Everytime I want to quit. This forum is the most important tool to me. I think your going to do great! Set up a nursing station like PP said, forget the pump and bond with baby.
    First time mommy

I think I'm doing really well. Babies are amazing little creatures and every moment with her is a gift to me.

I'm not political but don't mess with my baby or her meal!

EBF <3 5 months old now
    Co-sharing sleep <3
    BLS when she gives us a thumbs up
    NIP, and she'll wean when she's ready

with the PPs.

How much supplement are you giving? (# of oz, how many times a day?)

Your milk "comes in" when the breast starts making mature milk in addition to colostrum (the gold-colored first milk, produced in very small quantities). Once production of mature milk begins, the only issue is quantity, and quantity can be increased at any time by nursing/pumping more.

Feeling "full" is not necessary in order to make enough milk. Feeling full actually indicates that you're making more milk than you need.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"