Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nystatin cream can I...

Default Re: nystatin cream can I...

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicana06 View Post
    Wait after you feed does you nipple get hard?(like your cold) and for me it looks like i got extra Bumps(????) they seem to be the cause of the pain.. and then when i warm my breast with a warm compress it seems to fade.. is this okay? or l could it have invaded my ducts
    I'm also takin an ACIDOPHILUS supplement. although its just one a day.. im not sure if i should be taking more of it.
    Yes my nipple also gets hard and looks like it has extra bumps. I think that just happens when it gets hard though- they stick out more so it looks like more, KWIM? I don't know if the warm compress would cause a problem, but maybe don't leave it on for too long and follow with the cleansing solution? Just an idea. Also that solution can dry out your nipples so the Vit. E oil really comes in handy (Kind of messy but I've been washing all my bras after one wearing anyway). Dr. Jay Gordon does not recommend using Lansinoh during thrush because it creates a moisture barrier that can impede healing.
    As for the acidophilus supplement, don't quote me on this, but I believe the recommended dosage for this purpose is 10-40 million cultures per day for adults and 1-3 million for children (I use the powder for DD and mix it with yogurt). The size of the capsule doesn't matter, it's the amount of cultures it contains. This information should be on the bottle. I believe it is also best to start with the lower end of the range and work up if necessary. I've been taking 1 capsule with 20 million cultures the past few days but I might add another. I've been giving DD about 1.5 million per day in one dose.
    Does that make sense? I will see if I can find the source for that information.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Exclamation Re: nystatin cream can I...

wait.. I'm going back to work in one more week and need to start freezing EBM.. Can i do this now? with the trush? so far i have about 8 oz in the freezer..
    on the Acidophilus. im taking now 3 tabs. a day. per the bottle.. will that allow me to freeze my milk?

The acidophlus should not have any negative effect on your milk. However, ther are special guidelines for use of expressed milk during thrush:
    I have thrush. Can I give my baby expressed milk?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am also going through thrush and treatment with my baby right now and I am wondering--could it possibly be affecting my milk production? Suddenly my left breast seems to be barely producing milk! THIS SUCKS. I have already been through a few bumps in the road with breastfeeding (tongue tie, slow weight gain) and just when I thought we were finally on the right path, along comes thrush! I am so frustrated! Now I am worried that besides the pain, he is not getting enough! Help!

Red face Re: nystatin cream can I...

Congrats on you new arrival!!!! since getting this Darn Thrush.. I've been takin as much advise from these wonderful ladies here in the forum and also have read up on what I can do...

So today i looked up Gentian Violet.. and decided to buy it... it was bout seven bucks.. not bad..

Although i did send my poor DH out on a mission to get it(its raining so much out here) and he couldn't find it in either GNC or vitamin shoppe... so Ebay express it was.. the only downside is that 1. we are running out of the nystatin oral solution. DS HAtes it! he fights and spits most of it out 2.the pharmacy wont be able to refill it until friday im Military and they are just the worst at getting meds refilled when you need it. 3.the Gentian Violet is going to get here sometime next week but hopefully things will get better

Oh BTW I'm not BF now I'm Giving DS EBM.. just to give my poor nipples a break..

Hope this helps

I seem to have found a good answer here, in case any other mothers are wondering:
    http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/html/candida.shtml
    The answer is yes! Thrush can affect breast milk production negatively but it's affects are supposedly temporary....God I hope so!

Are you nipples turning white? I developed Raynodes syndrom when I got thrush.