Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nystatin cream can I...

Default nystatin cream can I...

Can I feed baby with it on? im just thinking about night time feedings when I'm half asleep to get up to clean it off well, is gonna be a drag.. can i skip it?

Also.. had Doc apt. today!! I'm soooo happy Because DS went from birth weight of 7 lb 1.4 oz to today at 11 lb 3 oz!!!!!!!!!! in just 6 weeks!!!! I never thought that things were going so well.. so to all that are doubting BF DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! It's so worth it!!!!!!

Default Re: nystatin cream can I...

It's totally safe to do it, nystatin is what they prescribe for babies with thrush also. I used it it at the beginning with no problems.

Congratulations with your little one!!

My Ped. told me to just wipe off any cream that is still visable before feeding the baby. Most of it should be absorbed or rubbed off onto your clothing, so it just takes a quick little rub...IF you can actually see any on you.

I would wipe off any excess that you see on your nipple before feeding, if it's not too painful for you. They say it's safe, but I preferred to wipe it off. I used the Lansinoh wipes/cloths - they are AWESOME!

Question Re: nystatin cream can I...

Thanks for the advise.. now i have nother question.. I'm still having pain after i nurse my DS. i'm stil putting on the cream and giving him the dromps.. how much longer until i am pain free?

ohhhhh I dont know if I should answer that ? or not...it took me until 4 days after a dose of diflucan to start feeling relief...and I had to take him off the breast and bottle feed him for 24 hours when I just could not take the pain anymore. That little rest and the diflucan finally kicking in was what eased my pain, and that was about 3 weeks into our thrush.

Angry Re: nystatin cream can I...

The Doc. didn't give me any diflucan.. I kinda wish she would have. B.C This is too pain ful right now.

although it was my sons doc that wrote for ithe Nystatin..

I used this treatment plan and some other internet resources, as well as some advice from some LLL moms, to devise a treatment plan for my thrush (seems to be helping so far, 3 days into treatment):
    Dr. Jack Newman's Candida Protocol

My plan uses the following OTC products:
    Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE): pills and liquid
    Acidophilus supplement for me (20 million cultures per day)
    Probiotic supplement for DD (mixture of different probiotics, 1-3 million cultures per day)
    Vinegar
    Distilled Water
    Pure Vitamin E
    Miconozale Cream

Topical:
    I made a solution of the water, vinegar, and GSE that I have been putting on my nipples with a cotton ball after each feeding. Twice each day, I apply a thin layer of miconozale after my nipples have dried. If my nipples feel to dry or flaky, I put pure Vitamin E on them instead. The GSE solution can also be used to swab out the child's mouth and to wash the child's bottom. Same with the miconozale and Vit. E.
    Internal:
    DD and I take the probiotics in the amounts listed above each day. I mix her powder in with some yogurt and she eats it up. I also take 125 mg of GSE (pill) 3-4 times per day. I don't take the GSE and the probiotic at the same time though.
    Diet:
    I've tried to cut as many carbohydrates and sugars out of my diet as I can tolerate (including high-sugar fruits and veggies, most dairy, and especially anything made with yeast).
    Laundry:
    I've washed most items that came in contact with affected areas in hot water with vinegar and GSE added. Bleach and hanging in the sun can also be used.

I don't know yet if this is going to work, though. If not, I might go to the doctor and ask for the Diflucan and APNO as discussed in Dr. Newman's protocol.

ETA: The Vitamin E and miconozale should be wiped off before feeding, but usually the miconozale absorbs quickly.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Unhappy Re: nystatin cream can I...

Wait after you feed does you nipple get hard?(like your cold) and for me it looks like i got extra Bumps(????) they seem to be the cause of the pain.. and then when i warm my breast with a warm compress it seems to fade.. is this okay? or l could it have invaded my ducts
    I'm also takin an ACIDOPHILUS supplement. although its just one a day.. im not sure if i should be taking more of it.