Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing to naps, pt. II

Default nursing to naps, pt. II

Hi smart and trusted mamas!

I posted 2 weeks ago about DD no longer nursing to naps. Well, the good news is that now she is!

Having read too many sleep books which turned me into the most insecure and self-doubting mom as a result, I had been reading any little bit of fuss as a tired sign and would end up trying to put her down for a nap sometimes as soon as an 1 hr and 15 mins of waking.

Now that I've extended the time she's awake -- just shy of 2 hours -- she'll nurse to sleep within 5-7 minutes with no tears (!). BUT, and here's the big but, she'll only sleep for 20 to 30 mins (no difference if she's in my arms or in the crib) and will wake up very very cranky.

Any advice on how to get longer naps? Everything I read insists on 'breaking the sleep-suck association,' 'sleep training,' and saying goodbye to nursing. I don't want to do that. So, I'm turning to my pro-BF army for guidance.

FYI: LO is almost 7 months, weight and diapers are good. BLW and she has varying interest in solids (likes avocados but meh with everything else).

Do your BF babies take long naps?
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Default Re: nursing to naps, pt. II

How many naps are you giving her per day? And walk away from the sleep books!!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How many naps are you giving her per day? And walk away from the sleep books!!!
    I KNOW! The woman who gave me Weissbluth as an unasked for shower gift is no longer my friend

My ideal (realistic or not) would be to have 2 long naps a day. But for now I'm happy with 3 naps a day, hopefully an hour long.

We had been walking in the ergo for naps but it's already snowing and cold and she doesn't sleep as well in it at home and I'm just tired afterward as well.

Weissbluth is a special kind of evil.

Have you tried laying down with her and nursing during nap?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sadly, yes. I would love to sleep with her but it doesn't seem to make a difference. She seems to sleep best in my arms in the rocker. It's a challenge to make sure that I stay awake given that it's not the safest form of co-sleeping.

Babies, as well as adults and children love sleeping with some kind of body warmpth beside them. We all sleep better I think when someone is near to us. I also had tried the sleeping and then sliding away technique. It worked some of the time, but ended causing more problems b/c my kids would wake up freaking out that I wasnt there. The only suggestion I have tried that eventually... works is nursing until my kids fell asleep and then laying them down. Even if I had to do that 50 times, getting up feeding and laying them back down I knew it was the only way to get it to work. Eventually my kids would sleep longer periods of time. Some kids just take short spurts of naps and eventually get into their own routine. There unfortunatly isn't a cure all for sleep issues that works with every child...
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011