Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusion and discouragement

Default Re: Confusion and discouragement

2.5-3.5oz each feeding as of yesterday. That's after about 15-45 min of nursing.

I'm experiencing something very similar right now, OALD, screaming at the breast and refusing to eat when awake. I offered the breast daily in the ISCU for 35 days and he hasn't ever had an issue with latching...when he wants to! It's that he is outright refusing me. I've gotten the same advice to have an all day in bed nursing time to get him used to it, but I feel bad/ afraid/nervous letting him scream him self silly! It doesn't seem right refusing him my EBM from a bottle so he will take the breast is it cruel? Because it feels cruel, but i desparetely want him to EBF! I want to be rid of this pump! He is gaining weight fine and could be off the enfacare fortifier if he just ate from me like he was born to do! Help! The only chance i get to have the breastfeeding experience is when i sleep with him at the nipple and he wakes up rooting but still asleep and he eats for 5 minutes and goes back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*honeybutton View Post
    I'm experiencing something very similar right now, OALD, screaming at the breast and refusing to eat when awake. I offered the breast daily in the ISCU for 35 days and he hasn't ever had an issue with latching...when he wants to! It's that he is outright refusing me. I've gotten the same advice to have an all day in bed nursing time to get him used to it, but I feel bad/ afraid/nervous letting him scream him self silly! It doesn't seem right refusing him my EBM from a bottle so he will take the breast is it cruel? Because it feels cruel, but i desparetely want him to EBF! I want to be rid of this pump! He is gaining weight fine and could be off the enfacare fortifier if he just ate from me like he was born to do! Help! The only chance i get to have the breastfeeding experience is when i sleep with him at the nipple and he wakes up rooting but still asleep and he eats for 5 minutes and goes back to sleep.
    Welcome to the forum!

I can totally understand your reluctance to just let your baby scream. I don't think that starving him into submission is the right tactic, either. This link covers ways to get a resistant baby to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques are said to be especially helpful. It may also help to offer a small amount of milk on a bottle- perhaps an oz or so- and then transition baby to the breast for unlimited suckling when his hunger is calmed but not completely vanquished. Taking him to bed is also a fantastic technique- many babies who resist nursing during the day will nurse when they are drowsy or sleeping.

ETA: I think your post deserves lots of replies, but since you posted at the tail end of an older thread, you might not get them. I'd start a new thread- I think it will get more traffic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks! i just reposted it and am looking at the kellymom site right now!