My brain is just all over the place and I know I need to get some help with my little man.
Background: He was born 7.5 weeks early and spent nearly 6 weeks in NICU. He had recurrent issues with jaundice, anemia, and apnea. He had tube feedings for most of his stay there, only going to all bottle feedings about 5 days before he came home. We tried introducing the breast when he was about 1-2 weeks old, but then his issues started up again and he went NPO for a little while. After that, I made the decision to not attempt breastfeeding again until he came home, as I wanted to concentrate on GETTING him home... which meant finishing his bottles and showing weight gain. I didn't want to risk any issues that may have prolonged his stay. I now know this was a bad decision and is likely playing a HUGE role in our current issues.
He came home last Monday, 10/29. His DD was 11/10, so this coming Saturday.
I have extremely large breasts (36Q) with flat/inverted nipples. My left breast is larger than the right, with a flatter nipple.
Current: I started introducing the breast again intermittently when we came home last week. I ended up exhausted with the pumping, bottle, breast routine and went back to full bottle for 1-2 days. At the suggestion of a friend, I tried going 100% breast on Saturday. He seemed to do well during the day, with hubby giving him a bottle at night so I could get some sleep (I still got up to pump). Then last night (Sunday), he started demonstrating some latching issues.
He'll latch on, wait, then pop off, scream, latch on, wait, pop off, and scream. Repeat. His latch has also changed and is now very shallow, even with the use of a nipple shield (no latching at all without one).
This morning (Monday), he won't even latch on. As soon as I get him in position (football hold on right), he just immediately starts screaming and won't stop until he has a bottle in his mouth.
We've been using the Dr Brown bottles with the Preemie nipple, at the recommendation of the hospital's LC. I also have some Avent, Similac and Momma bottles on hand if it matters.
I've sent an e-mail to the local LLL Leader (meeting isn't until next week) and I can't afford a LC. Heck, we can barely afford our own food right now since I've taken off 4 weeks FMLA (without pay) and I'm the only income right now.
I go back to work November 30 and would like to have at least something established, as I don't expect him to be anywhere close to good by then.