Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I wish it could be easier...

Default I wish it could be easier...

I'm lazy. DS is about 20 months old, and still nursing to sleep and several times at night. I'm ready for him to wean, but I really don't want to put the effort in. I'm tired of going between my bed and his bed (it's getting cold!), and I'm tired of not sleeping with DH. I want things to be normal - everyone in their own beds!

DS is just sooo persistent about having my milk to fall asleep... and I don't have the energy to deal with a fight. DH gets sad that all DS wants is me, so it doesn't really work having him put DS to sleep. Even if I am not home and DH has to put DS to sleep, bed time ends up being at 11pm (which is clearly too late).

I wish that DS would just realize that he's a big boy, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I just needed to vent.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: I wish it could be easier...

I'm sorry that you feel this way. And I'm not trying to be snarky, but you seem to want to sleep in a bed with your DH. Why is it weird that your young son would want to sleep with someone too? What isn't "normal" about that?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That's fair. I'm just tired of bouncing around. Lately, I've been spending the whole night in DS's bed and I'm not as comfortable there and not sleeping well, and cranky.
    ~ Megan

I hear you! I'm tired and cranky too - Trixie's a month older than your son and those 2 year molars are coming in right now.

ETA: We combated this problem in our house by getting the children beds that adults would be comfortable sleeping in.
    Tracie

Mommy to

His 1 year molars are *almost* done. He's behind with teeth. It seems like there's always an excuse - teeth, or a cold, or traveling - that makes nighttime all messed up. I got excited last week, because he slept "through" the night twice in a row (8pm-5am)... but it didn't last.
    ~ Megan

20 months is not really a "Big Boy". Just saying. Does your child even have language yet? I can't imagine trying to wean my kid before he had the language to understand it. Why can't you co-sleep with both of them?

Way too lazy for formula

He has amazing understanding of vocabulary, and he's getting there with speech. (And he sure thinks he is independent, lol!) I know he's not a big boy yet, but I'm getting tired of our nighttime situation.

Cosleeping with all three of us doesn't work. We did it about a year ago, and none of us slept well. It was too crowded and uncomfortable. The solution is that DS now sleeps on a twin mattress, so that I can still lay with him when needed.
    ~ Megan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    DS is just sooo persistent about having my milk to fall asleep... and I don't have the energy to deal with a fight. DH gets sad that all DS wants is me, so it doesn't really work having him put DS to sleep. Even if I am not home and DH has to put DS to sleep, bed time ends up being at 11pm (which is clearly too late).
    I totally know what you mean here. My DD is only 15 months, but DH HATES the fact that she only wants me for bedtime. I'm not ready to wean, or even nightwean, but sometimes it would just be nice to have someone other than me put her to sleep. That's all.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Get that boy a full size bed. I did the twin mattress on the floor thing with Lilah for about three months when she was 14 months old and we bought a full size bed.

My DH took over nights for Lilah at around this age - well, bedtime anyway. There were tears, but she went to sleep. And after a week or so, she went off with him happily. It was stressful for everyone involved and we only did it because I was pregnant. I'm not ready to give up my snuggles with Trixie and don't think we'll night-wean her until she does it herslef.
    Tracie

Mommy to