Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk should I leave while I'm at work?

Default How much milk should I leave while I'm at work?

Hi. My son is 6 weeks old, and I'm starting to think about what will happen when I go back to work in January. He'll be 3 mo at that point, and I'm wondering if the time between feedings will increase as he gets older and how much milk he'll probably need during the course of 5 or 6 hours while I'm gone. Someone will be coming to our house to watch him.

And, I have no idea how many times he eats during the day now. I just feed him when he shows hunger cues.

So how much milk should I plan to leave with the nanny while I'm at work?
    Haiti Momma
    raising our American-Haitian son (born 9/24/2012) in Haiti

Default Re: How much milk should I leave while I'm at work?

I started with three 3 ounce bottles (I am gone from 8:30a-6p). Then after a few weeks, we went up to three 4 ounce bottles. Sometimes I will leave an ounce or two extra if I have leftovers after making my milk bags.

Check out kellymom for good advice on expressing milk while at work and guidelines.

The general rule is that the baby needs about 1.5 oz per hour of separation. It is often helpful to leave smaller bottles rather than larger ones, since caregivers tend to try to finish a bottle, leading to a lot of overfeeding. It might be useful to start with 2-3 oz bottles, with 1 oz bottles for chasers. That way the caregiver has to pause the feeding in order to get the chaser bottle, allowing baby a moment to read his own hunger cues and decide whether or not he wants more milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with mommal. 2.5-3 oz in each bottle and 1-1.5 oz for each hour you are gone. It's critical that caregiver not over feed. So many moms are guilted into thinking that they can't keep up with baby's demand when the problem actually is that baby is being overfed.

I will also say, relax...enjoy baby now on your leave. Set a calendar reminder to begin to think about those things like 4 weeks before returning to work and then give yourself permission to relax and not think about it until then
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I will also say, relax...enjoy baby now on your leave. Set a calendar reminder to begin to think about those things like 4 weeks before returning to work and then give yourself permission to relax and not think about it until then
    ^This. With my first two, I started pumping and obsessing waaaaay too early. 4 weeks before you go back is plenty of time to work this stuff out.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks so much!!

Especially for reminding me to relax.
    Haiti Momma
    raising our American-Haitian son (born 9/24/2012) in Haiti