Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help me with my toddler nursing please

Default help me with my toddler nursing please

Its about 1145pm and I finally put down my 23month old dd and told my dh "if I have to nurse her any longer I'm going to puke." She had been switching sides and looking drowsy to wide awake since 1020.
    She nurses multiple times over night, good nights maybe 3 times, most nights 4 to 6 times. I work full time.

I don't mind the nursing session after work because I've missed her all day. I don't mind nursing her to sleep if it takes a few minutes... but this hour long and no end in sight makes me crazy. It makes me want to tear my hair out and cry. I don't like the way it feels. Its comfort nursing and I just can't take it anymore.

I've somewhat managed to cut down daytime nursing by disttraction.

I don't want to force wean her, I could go longer if it was just a reasonable session a couple times aday or night.

I hear her crying inside so I have to go back in and nurse again.....oh m g I'm not sure I can take this I'm so fing tired.

Need support or advice please.

Default Re: help me with my toddler nursing please

How old is she? Old enough to understand some limits. I think right around 14months I began to talk to my son about the noonies going night night too. So I would let him feed off both sides and then flip him and spoon him and that was that. And yes sometimes that was met with resistance and fussiness. But once he got used to that limit and it was there it was fine. I would however not try to implement this boundary until her 1st year molars are in.

Way too lazy for formula

I totally know what you are going through . . .

My son is now 25 months and I too started setting up night-nursing boundaries when he was around 23 months. We did the same thing as djsmom. He would have a couple of switching from either side and then I would say "Nursies go night-night" and swiftly cover up my breasts with my shirt and a blanket. There was some upset and fuss in the beginning but I would always say "Cuddles" and also spoon/hold him. It did take a few weeks of this, some nights were easier than others, but he gets it now and will sometimes end a session, roll over and say "Cuddles" back to me. Never thought that would ever happen!

Sounds like it maybe it could be teething and in my experience, that was when all of the crazy-long nursing sessions happened. Total. Marathon. Nursing. I think that on more than a few nights, I was in there and nursing him down for a good 2 hours. AHHH! So hard, especially when you have to wake up and go to work the next day.

Hang in there. There will be an end in sight! The Toddler/Preschool No Cry Sleep Solution was a helpful read if you need a few more suggestions.

Great big hugs your way!!
    Toddlers are teen agers in training.
    Sorry yours is driving you batty. I get it.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I am always afraid to post "what worked for us" stories because I don't want to jinx us, but so far what has worked for my nearly 22 month old was Jay Gordon's method and daddy putting him to bed, since he doesn't have the num nums. I also work full time and understand your struggles with sleep deprivation!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

The Dr Jay Gordon night weaning method is a great one, google it and see if it may work for you.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks to you all for your support . I read the gordon method and started it two nights ago. The short feedings and putting back to sleep awake are going ok. Theres been a couple times when ive had to sit up and hold her while swaying. She only cried for a minute or two then fell back asleep. She does not respond to rubbing or back patting. Im afraid to cut out the short nursings...i dont want her to freak out. If i try to stop the nursing should i so the sit up and sway instead every time? How did you all get them to go back to sleep without nursing if the child doesnt like back rubs?
    Not even sure im wording my question right....

Thanks for reading.