Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What do i tell people?

Default What do i tell people?

Hi everyone! My daughter is 5.5 months old and is growing like a bad weed, EBF! Yay! She is teething, and since I didn't wanna hijack someone else's recent post about teething/possible biting, I'm writing my own. All the advice I've read on here has helped me reaffirm that I'll nurse my daughter till she no longer wants to, but I don't know exactly what to tell people when they say, "you better watch out when she gets teeth..."
    First of all, the fact that they think its their business to talk about my nipple being bitten weirds me out (especially men...DH hasn't even said anything like that!), plus it bugs me that people think it would be ok for me to just switch to pumping/formula just because my kid has a couple teeth!
    How do I respond in a nice way...?

Default Re: What do i tell people?

I find sarcasm shuts stupid people up. "I appreciate your concern for my nipples, but they've been bitten before and I'm okay" and add a little wink. Or something like "they get teeth? Wow I had no idea". Or you can be very straightforward and say "I'm not worried, millions of babies nurse with teeth every day". It's none of their business.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

You can also go with "I'm not worried. Most babies don't bite. But thanks for your concern. Now, how about the election?"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would say yes it's normal for babies to nurse after they get teeth, we're doing fine. When people ask when my daughter would wean I'd say "I have no idea, when she's ready, she'll let me know." I was bitten one time and told my daughter "no bite" and she never tried again, but really it's nobody's business.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My mom weaned us around 6 months because she didn't feel it was a good idea to nurse when they had teeth. Probably her doctor told her this too. When my DS turned 1 year old, my mom asked if I was going to pump and bottlefeed now?

There a couples times people are probably going to bring weaning up. 6 months and also 1 year is a common time because this is when they likely weaned their babies. It will be annoying, but know it will pass.

One quick thing you could say is the World Health Organization now recommends breastfeeding to 2 years and beyond.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I have found my best response lately (and it's come in handy for a lot of things) is "That's the old school way" or "That's what people used to say but it's different now." Because I feel like almost all the advice I get is what I'd call "old school," even though it's current parenting for a lot of people. I feel like it sometimes makes the person say, "Well, everything's different now," or "They change things all the time," rather than think I'm just shirking their advice. I mean, my MIL talks about how they were told to buy positioners 20 years ago so baby could sleep on their sides, and that's a no-no now, so it's a perfect example. I have to say, though, it seems to be all the "old school" people who feel the need to constantly butt in and criticize (including my parents' neighbor, WTF?!!)!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I would go with an smile and "we'll manage." I find that shuts people down and clarifies who gets to be part of the decision, without inviting further discussion.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start