Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: needing a little more answers :)

Default needing a little more answers :)

i called my local Leader for some help. she was great but now im more concerned than ever. she asked me if i felt my "milk let down". i said no because i didnt know what that felt like and dont really feel anything when the baby is nursing. so i guess my question is what does the "let down" feel like and how do i know if it is or is not happening? i think im stressing myself!
    I didn't succeed with Breastfeeding with my first two children I'M NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME! I PROMISED MY DAUGHTER!

Default Re: needing a little more answers :)

Moms who can feel their letdown sensation often describe it as a tingling sensation. But not all moms feel their letdowns! I have nursed 2 babies and never felt a letdown. Also, many moms who feel their letdowns in the beginning, when their supplies are at their most abundant, eventually experience a lessening of the sensation, or even have it disappear.

ETA: a mom may be able to determine when she's having a letdown by watching her baby. When the baby's sucking transitions from a "suck-suck-suck" to a "suck-swallow-breathe, suck-swallow-breathe" pattern, that's a letdown.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Some women have a tingling or very mild cramping sensation when their milk lets down. It is also normal not to feel anything. I nursed my older son for 17 months, and am now nursing my almost 2.5 year old daughter. During all that time, I have felt my milk let down only a handful of times.

In the early months of breastfeeding, I stressed about that, too. My son is now 18 months, though, and I've never felt the milk letdown. The only way I've ever known it happened was to watch the sucking transition that Mommal described. Good luck with not stressing about it!

Sometimes knowing when 'let down' (actually, 'milk ejection' but everyone calls it let down) happens or if/how a mom feels let down can help when a breastfeeding helper is trying to pinpoint the whys or whats of certain issues. but whether or not a mom feels a letdown generally means little if anything.

speaking as a lll leader, when i say something to a mom that confuses her i am happy if she calls me back or otherwise seeks clarification! Glad you came here for reassurance.

PP I have only felt a letdown a handful of times, but I can see/hear the sucking transition. Definitely had this worry myself, but I think it's pretty common to not to feel anything!