Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New worries - not feeding for long

Default New worries - not feeding for long

Ok so first LO was taking about an hr for feeds. Now she barely feeds for 20 mins both sides. To me it doesn't seem she drinking well enough for me to think she taken enough in. She just started doing this yesterday. Except the evening when she cluster feeds for a few hrs.
    Maybe it's in my head, but I'm questioning whether her diapers are wet enough.
    She was gaining well. Tomorrow she gets weighed again. She will be a month old on Wed. I know they start to be one more Efficient eaters but this doesn't feel like it. She also doesn't pop off she just stops drinking and god to sleep.
    This stuff is so confusing and worrisome.

Default Re: New worries - not feeding for long

How old is your baby? It's totally normal for them to nurse for way less time as they get older and more efficient at doing it. How OFTEN did she nurse yesterday? Nothing is going to stay the same with your baby. It's always, constantly for sure always going to be changing. Just accept that. And remember that women and babies have been doing it for millions of years. Trust the process.

Way too lazy for formula

At one month any change can be worrisome. However, it's normal! It may make you feel better to track her diaper output (what goes in has to come out). But I think that tomorrow's weight check will reassure you the most.

Babes do become more efficient at nursing. So while they nurse for shorter durations, they're still getting more than enough. As well, your supply will start to level out and mimic babie's needs more closely. So you'll notice that you're not as full feeling as you were before. You're not losing your supply as many Mom's think. You're producing ENOUGH, which is what our bodies strive to do. There's no need to waste energy over producing. You two will fall in sync and once you accept it, you'll feel much more at peace with it.

Keep feeding on demand and let us know how tomorrow's check up goes.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

She was gaining well.
    as long as this continues to be the case when exclusively breastfeeding, you can be assured all is well. watching output (poops tell us most in particular, although that can change after around a month or so) allows moms more information about what is happening in the situation where a baby is NOT gaining as fast as baby generally 'should.' Enough output also gives moms a usually reasonably accurate picture that all is well between weight checks. but if you know your baby is gaining appropriately just on your breastmilk, then you can be sure baby is getting plenty of milk and all is well.

normal breastfeeding is only complicated because we inadvertently make it complicated. (and by we I mean society, doctors, lactation experts, moms, volunteer breastfeeding helpers, all of us.) It’s good to be attuned to what is happening with your baby and your body, but not so good if that causes overthinking things and getting stressed. On the other hand, being unsure is normal as well! And its not just first time breastfeeding moms-I was just saying to my husband how I am worrying about every little thing again with my third nursing baby. He is always reassuring me that our older kids 'did that' whatever it is. Anyway, as pps say, a baby’s behavior at the breast changes as baby gets bigger and stronger, typically, eventually leading to shorter feeds and later on to less frequent feeds. and that is normal. if you were a cave momma and felt your baby was not nursing long enough to get enough, you would probably simply offer to nurse more often, without even thinking about it.