Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Donating frozen breastmilk?

Default Donating frozen breastmilk?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to do this but any suggestions for how to donate breastmilk to moms who need it? I have a very full freezer and do not want to see all that hard pumped milk go to waste. I have donated to local moms but thought there may be other ideas.

Default Re: Donating frozen breastmilk?

I looked into donating through the Human Milk Bank Association of North America: https://www.hmbana.org/

If there's not a location near you, they can help you arrange to send your milk. I wasn't able to donate because I was on an herbal lactation supplement and because I drink herbal tea, but it might be worth looking into.

I milk share. If you use FB, I go through Human Milk 4 Human Babies, or Eats On Feets. They have no restrictions on who can donate. Some recipients will want you to get a blood test, some won't. =) I love it. I've made amazing friends through donating, too. <3
    Lillie

Proud SAHM

We , :, and
    I for #2

Isaiah-10/14/2010
    Karsten-03/09/2012

What is a milk share? Sounds great!

i also donated about 500 oz through human milk for human babies (hm4hb) on facebook.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Milk sharing is, instead of going through a Milk Bank, you donate to a local momma and baby in need. You post your donation on the HM4HB FB page, and a momma gets in touch with you if they want your milk. =)
    Lillie

Proud SAHM

We , :, and
    I for #2

Isaiah-10/14/2010
    Karsten-03/09/2012

I second Tallmadre's suggestion of looking into the Human Milk Bank Association of North America. There are about a dozen across the country. I am lucky that there is a milk bank in my city, Austin. But if there's not one in yours, still look into it, because some banks can provide special containers for shipping (I know someone who did this). There is a serious need. The milk banks pool and process all donor milk, and provide to preemies and other high needs babies in hospital NICUs. There is a screening process but it is not that arduous. I did a 10 minute phone interview, filled out a paper questionnaire, and provided bloodwork (the milk bank made those arrangements & covered lab fees). Totally worth it to know that your milk is helping those fragile babies whose systems can't handle formula & whose moms might not be able to provide breastmilk themselves. And of course if you can't find a milk bank, or you aren't an elegible donor, a milk share is a great option.