Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply-Fast Letdown

Default Oversupply-Fast Letdown

My son is 4 weeks today and EBF. We have been having a problem the past few days with oversupply. He pulls off and on, gagging, milk coming out of his nose, and only feeds for about 5 minutes. He always sound stuffed up in his nose too.

Any tips on how to overcome this?

Yesterday was hard, but I want to get through this.He was jaundice in the beginning because of a hematoma during the c-section. There were complications during the c-section and I was put under. It basically was a mess. Then my incision isn't healing well-and started to pop open. I also developed a yeast infection on incision.

I read somewhere to use the scissor hold when feeding the baby-would this work with my nipples being smaller?

I was using a shield in the hospital-and finally got him off of it. Could this help with the slowing down the letdown?

Default Re: Oversupply-Fast Letdown

ive heard using the scissor hold too-it seems to be a suggestion that is coming back into favor. (There was a time it was thought to cause plugs) I suggest, try it. I have found myself just naturally doing it or something close in my struggle with fast flow. Most suggestions work some of the time but not all of the time and you just have to experiment.

these two articles have lots of things to try. personally i never block fed. instead, nursing very frequently, using a laid back maternal position (so baby is more on top) and, when baby pops off at initial flow, letting that first rush go into a towel or burp cloth before relatching baby has worked in my case to keep baby happy at the breast. She still spits up a lot but she's a happy spitter so I don't worry about that. if you find adding block feeding makes sense to you, just remember it does not mean to limit time at the breast. it is very important baby keeps nursing frequently.

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

and http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Default Re: Oversupply-Fast Letdown

Oh, I hear you on this mama. It can be so upsetting to see your little baby struggling so when they are nursing. We had a big problem with oversupply and fast letdown but it did eventually get better. For us, positioning was a huge help while I waited (and hoped) for my supply to regulate. I found the laid back position (http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf) to work great for us. Side lying (http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm) was also a big help as a lot of the extra milk was able to just flow out of his mouth easily (you may want to put a towel under you so your sheets don't get soaked. Both of these positions took us a little while to get comfortable with, but I provided some links that I think will help, if you aren't already using these positions.

I did try, at one point, to pump off some milk before feeding him and I personally wouldn't suggest this--it made our problem worse for sure. For us, the problem seemed to go throughout the whole feed (rather than just at let down) plus I was never able to tell when I was letting down so never quite figured out the whole pulling off technique.

Do you give one or both breasts at every feed? Initially, I gave only one breast at a feed and then switched and offered the next breast at the next feed. Eventually, I did do a few days of block feeding with 3 hour intervals. Like LLLMeg said, when you block feed you still nurse on demand but put the baby back on the same breast for every feed in that interval (rather than switching breasts or switching starting breasts at every feed).

Honestly, the best remedy was just time. Eventually he got better able to cope with it and then my supply regulated and things settled in even more. Now (11 months) he gets a little annoyed if the flow isn't fast enough!

Hang in there! You're doing great.