Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk stopping suction

Default Milk stopping suction

Hello,

My milk occasionally does not drip down into the bottle, instead it gets pulled up to my breast and stops/decreases the pump suction. I am wondering if I need to change the size of the breast shield. I have a Madela In Style pump. Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: Milk stopping suction

We seemed to have missed this when you posted. I'm sorry about that!

Is the milk that gets drawn back up breaking the suction? Or does it block the tubing?

I haven't been able to find any info about this specific problem.... I'm hoping some of our experienced pumping moms will have ideas.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Milk stopping suction

I have never experienced this. Are your valve membranes in good condition? This can affect the suction, and if the membranes aren't laying down on the valve properly it would create a path for milk to go back up into the shield. Those membranes can get worn out quickly if you pump a lot. I always had a spare set in my bag.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.