Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding hurts so bad pls help

Default Breastfeeding hurts so bad pls help

I am not a new mom I recently had my third child but I am new to breastfeeding..I am currently pumping because it hurts tremendously to nurse her..I want the skin to skin time with my daughter but the pain is too much to tolerate. Ive watched videos and viewed diagrams about the proper latch and I believe I am doing it right so I dont understand where the pain is coming from..I use cream constantly and use warm compresses and still nothing..The pain is like a burning sensation, it begins when she first latches on and will continue for a few mins.. I have a nipple shield but not sure if i should try it because ive read the pros and cons about it.. I dont want to give it yet, they say the first 2 weeks are the hardest and we will hit two weeks on monday and i dont want to fail now.. Pls help

Default Re: Breastfeeding hurts so bad pls help

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new baby!

When you're having difficulty with a newborn and painful nursing, the best thing you can do is to get professional, in-person help. So please call your local La Leche League or your local lactation consultant (preferably one who is an IBCLC). Your pediatrician and the hospital where your baby was born (unless you happened to give birth at home) are also good resources: they may have LCs/IBCLCs on staff.

Questions for you:
    - When baby unlatches, is your nipple symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or wedged/creased/ridged/shaped like a new lipstick?
    - Do your nipples ever blanch (turn white/very pale) or perhaps blanch and then turn bluish purple before returning to their normal color?
    - Do you experience pain after the feeding is over, perhaps for a long time in between feedings?
    - Are you experiencing any of the following: itching, dry/flaking skin, white patches on the nipple, nipples appearing more red/pink than normal, cracked skin in the nipple/areola?
    - Did you or baby have a recent course of antibiotics? (Trust me, it's relevant.)
    - Do you or baby have any yeast infections (vaginal yeast in mom, yeast diaper rash or oral thrush in baby)?

At this point, I think it is vital that you get the baby on the breast so that she doesn't get hooked on the bottle and start rejecting the breast. You are correct that shields can cause problems and should be used with professional guidance, but with such a young baby it's more important to get the baby on the breast than to worry about what might/might not happen with the shield. That being said, once you're using the shield you should do the following:
    - Get in-person professional help
    - Watch baby's diaper output very carefully: the primary problem with shields is that they can reduce/slow milk transfer, leading to inadequate milk intake. Watching diaper output will help ensure that baby is getting enough to eat.
    - If diaper output drops below normal, you need to either supplement with pumped milk (or formula if you don't have pumped milk) or start nursing without the shield.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal has given you great suggestions. The pain is telling you something is off. Nursing, while definitely a sensation some moms take a little time getting used to, should not hurt. On the other hand, it is very common for it to hurt especially in the early days. In other words, this situation is pretty common and most likely entirely fixable, and that will usually happen faster if you get competent in person help now rather than later.

I also agree it is very important that you get baby nursing at the breast asap, sheild or no. If you are not nursing, technically a mom can keep up her milk production by pumping very frequently with a rental aka hospital grade pump, but its not easy, bottles create thier own set of issues, and anyway, babies (and mothers) learn to nurse by nursing.

you said:
    The pain is like a burning sensation, it begins when she first latches on and will continue for a few mins..
    And then, what? Does the pain go away? Is this in your nipples only, or your entire breast? Do you feel pain any other times? Any visible injury, cracking, bleeding, etc? Also, how was output/weight gain prior when baby was on the breast and after? sometimes latch pain is due to thrush and not entirely to latch issues, but if its hurt from the very start its most likely latch.

Have you tried laid back positioning and/or shaping the breast (breast sandwich)?

- When baby unlatches, is your nipple symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or wedged/creased/ridged/shaped like a new lipstick?
    - Do your nipples ever blanch (turn white/very pale) or perhaps blanch and then turn bluish purple before returning to their normal color?

I am going to jump in here and ask a question,if that's alright: ) What does it mean if your nipple is lip-stick shaped after feeding? And what if the nipple is whiteish/pinkish after feedings? I did have the same pains, but seems to be ettin better. My LO does have trouble staying on the breast and slips of often- how can I fix that?

Lipstick nipples mean the baby is compressing the nipple while nursing. Ideally, the nipple sits on the back of the tongue, underneath the soft palate, and experiences little motion or compression while the baby nurses. When the nipple sits on the front of the tongue, underneath the hard palate, it is compressed against the palate by the motion of the tongue. Most of the sucking action comes from the front of the tongue, not the back.

Nipple blanching, also known as vasospasm, can result from compression of the nipple or from Raynaud's phenomenon. When a mom has blanching and lipstick nipples, compression is the more conservative explanation for the vasospasm. See this link for more: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/

If baby is slipping off the breast while nursing, here are some things you can do:
    - Support the brest throughout the feeding, using your hand or a rolled-up washcloth tucked under the breast. Sometimes the breast drags down at the baby's mouth, causing him/her to lose the latch.
    - Experiment with different nursing positions. Side-lying, football hold, and down under positions are all worth trying, and may be better than cradle or cross-cradle.
    - Assess your supply. Sometimes babies "clamp down" on the nipple as a way to control a rapid flow of milk. It's like crimping a straw. If your baby frequently coughs, chokes, splutters, clicks, or clucks while feeding, and you are frequently engorged or full, you may have a high supply which usually results in a fast flow. If rapid letdowns of milk are causing the clamping, adopting reclined nursing positions are the first thing to try to fix the problem, because reclined positions enlist gravity to slow the flow of milk, reducing the baby's need to crimp the straw.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; November 3rd, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Nipple soreness but i dont want to quit now please help

With my first I think I was in pain for nearly 8 weeks! It was mostly on just the right side, DD1 had a bad latch on that side. I also pumped early on because of engorgement and ended up with an oversupply. I think the pain was caused by pumping everyday and nursing constantly. It did get better, I stuck with it and nursed her for 2 years. With DD2 I was only sore for maybe a week. I don't plan on pumping until 4-6 weeks. One thing I found to help better than warm compress is ice packs. (Lactation consultant said to take 2 disposable diapers, put 1/4 cup water in each and freeze for 30 mins) Those worked wonders! Maybe consult a lactation consultant, they can evaluate your baby's latch to make sure it's right.
    Amanda

Wife to Steven 29 Oct 07
    DD1: Zoey 28 Oct 2009
    (Self weaned at 2 years)

DD2: Hayley 18 Oct 2012
    (My latest nursling)

My LO does have trouble staying on the breast and slips of often- how can I fix that?
    as mommal suggests, this may be due to the positioning try any position, but laid back or 'down under' directly addresses the issue of a baby being pulled off the nipple by gravity.

i'm really liking this latch pictorial for its simplicity and how it shows a 'laid back' position. http://cwgenna.com/qhcontent.html click 'latch help' on top.

I have the same problem! My nipples were so sore when i started breastfeeding 2 weeks ago. My nipples seemed to be torn off at the areolas, and i
    had bleeding at times. (i bled last night on one nipple). I started off bf for 25 min. On each side. After baby's first pediatrician visit, he said try for10 min. On each side. If i have to supplement with formula, i do it. Baby latches on good on one nipple, and it's painful on the other. I finally tried different positions for each breast. I do cradle hold on the "good boob" and the football hold on the painful boob. It alleviates most of the initial pain. I still get the initial burning sensation when he first latches on, and then it goes away during feeding. My breasts are super
    sensitive from feeding, but i'm guessing with all the bf we're doing, it's going to be.

I've wanted to give up a lot too, trust me. The pain was so excruciating, and at times i would cry. On my bleeding nipple, i would use a hydrogel
    pad for a little while (maybe about 1 hour), then i remove it and put lansinoh and a breast pad. A warm shower would help too. I would just run my boobs under the water for 30 min. Or longer. I would let the soap run over my boobs from showering, and after just let 'em hang out in the
    cool air for a bit. It just gives a refreshing feeling, and sikes you up for the next feeding.

I still have issues with pain and bleeding and soreness. Everyday is different. I still cringe and close my eyes when he goes to latch on, so i can prepare myself for the pain! There's times when i pull away because i'm scared of the pain. I just get back in there and do it, and in about
    20 seconds, everything is ok.

I'm still going to stick it out as long as i can (hopefully until he is one). It's good to have support from your partner also. Someone who can hold you for a little bit, and tell you everything will be ok. My husband is so good, and had to comfort me during my bouts of crying that i was doing something wrong, and feeling guilty about wanting to quit. I supplement baby with formula at night if i have to. There's times when my nipples are so sore, i can't pump and i can't feed him. At first i felt guilty about it, then realized that if i can't provide baby with what he needs at my breast, i need to give him something else, and that's just the way it is. There's nothing to feel guilty about at all.