Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen breast milk

Default Frozen breast milk

Wish me luck, ladies. I went away for a week without my LO and pumped a ton of milk. Now I'm panicking that it will defrost on my way home. I went out yesterday and bought an insulated cooler and packed all the milk inside with some ice packs and I'm hoping for best. Question- what happens if the milk defrosts a little bit? I have to use it within 3 days, right? I'll be so bummed if I lose all this milk :-(

Default Re: Frozen breast milk

Is the milk frozen solid or chilled in the fridge?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

as long as it still has ice crystals in it, you can refreeze. it that event i'd probably try to use it up from the freezer first, anyway, but it'll buy you longer than 3 days.

key to keeping frozen: don't open the cooler; fill all the space (no airpockets - fill with ice or newspaper).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It's frozen solid. I packed it to the brim of the cooler and put ice packs in it. I thought that if it was even just slightly defrosted I had to use it within 3 days. I didn't know I could refreeze as lOng as there were ice crystals.

if it's thawed, the guidelines say to use within 24 hours. many moms extend that a little.

but for the freezing process, see https://www.facebook.com/notes/breas...24662880918323
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.