Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So confused about weight gain. Dr vs. IBCLC

Default So confused about weight gain. Dr vs. IBCLC

Hello all,

I've been struggling for a while with ebf my 4 month old girl. I started supplementing when she was about 1 month old. She was just getting 2 oz of formula per day and now, she is getting 8-10 oz per day. When she was born, she weighed 8 lb 15oz. Got down to 7 lb, had her tongue tie clipped and started gaining again. Yesterday at the dr. she weighed 12 lb 8oz. She is a happy baby and she sleeps well. My dr., who is very old school, said she's doing fine and we're on an upward curve. My IBCLC is concerned because looking over her past charts, she's only gaining 2-3 oz AT MOST a week.

I should mention that she is pretty addicted to the fast flow of a bottle and will only nurse well when sleepy or in the morning when my supply is at it's best. Oh and she usually has 1 good poo a day and several wets. I usually supplement 8 oz or so towards the end of the day in 3 oz increments. I'd love to get back to EBF but, my hope is really waning. Is it possible at this point? I feel like there's got to be another underlying issue but, I'm not pregnant, haven't started my period yet, not on birth control.

I guess, overall, my questions are:

1. is my girl gaining weight too slowly? is she too skinny?
    2. if so, can I do something about it that doesn't involve more formula?!?
    Last edited by @llli*loumom; November 3rd, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Default Re: So confused about weight gain. Dr vs. IBCLC

A couple of questions for you first, if you don't mind:
    1) assuming 7lbs was th lowest weight, when was that obtained (which day, if you remember)?
    2) similarly, what day was she 12#whatever?
    3) do you have any interval weights?
    4) were these weights all on the same scale, unclothed, etc.?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Good questions from the PP.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with being 12 lbs, 8 oz at 4 months. On this chart http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif, your baby is just below the 50th percentile for weight. The LC might have been thrown off by your baby's birthweight, since a baby who starts out big and then follows a different growth trajectory outside the womb may appear to be gaining too slow- if you subscribe to the completely false idea that babies must always follow the same curve!

It is always possible to increase supply. The keys to increased supply are frequency and completeness of milk removal from the breast. If the baby isn't doing a perfect job at that right now- perhaps because she is getting a lot of formula and that's making her a lazier or less frequent nurser- you need to fix that by nursing more and/or by pumping. If you can get to a point where every bottle you give your baby contains expressed milk rather than formula, you can simply ditch the bottles. Your baby may be fussy for a few days while she gets used to only nursing, but as long as diaper output remains normal the fussiness is normal and not an indication of supply problems.

This link explains how to wean from formula supplements: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

7 lbs was the lowest weight. She weighed that amount 2 days after getting out of the hospital. I believe she was 5 or 6 days old.
    The weights were on the IBCLC and my pediatricians' scales. All unclothed. I don't remember all the interval weights but, she was 12 lb on Oct 1 and 11 lb 5 oz on Sept 15.

Thanks for the responses so far. I may have to add in some pumping..

she was 12 lb on Oct 1 and 11 lb 5 oz on Sept 15.
    do you mean october 31st?

Ok, sorry..here is what I remember

Birth 8 lb 15 oz
    6 days - 7 lbs even
    Sept 15 - 11 lb 8 oz
    Oct 1 - 12 lb even
    Nov 2 - 12 lb 8 oz
    Last edited by @llli*loumom; November 3rd, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

birthdate?

Birthdate was June 30.

anyone have advice? I just want to know what you think about her weight progression. Im so tired of people telling me she's skinny.
    Thanks!

Okay, just got a chance to look over your weights.

I'm going to give you the breakdown as I see it based on what you've shared:
    July 6-Sept 15, weight increased 4#8oz, or just over 1oz per day
    Sept 15-Oct 1, weight increased 8oz, or 1/2 oz per day
    Oct 1-Nov 2, weight increased 8oz, or 1/4 oz per day

A quick internet search showed a variety of answers to "how much weight should a baby gain", but the most conservative estimate was 1lb per month. It looks like the weight was doing fine until the last month. THIS DOESN'T MEAN YOUR BABY IS FAILURE TO THRIVE, NOR THAT THERE IS ANYTHING NECESSARILY "WRONG". It simply means your HCP may need to watch things more closely for the next little while. Mommal provided some excellent advice re: increasing your supply, and you may want to look into that. I think it will be possible to come off supplements, w/ support/hard work.

BTW, people are so used to formula fed babies and how they look, that when a totally normal-looking breast-fed baby comes along, they don't know what to say. I had a couple of "skinny" babies, and people commented all the time. I just smiled and said, thanks, it's great not to have to keep buying new baby clothes all the time!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos