Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: my whole day is feeding

Default Re: my whole day is feeding

Yeah...I have this scale that measures lbs in 10ths of a lb not in oz. The give or take is the difference in weight of his clothes and a potential diaper wet plus time of day was probably a little later. This is much more scientific than I anticipated. This whole process is. I weighed him last week sometime before he began outright sns refusal and he was at 17.2 lbs ...because his intake fluctuated I got worried so that's why I weighed him 5 days ago and I got 17lbs even. Now it shows 17.8 and I am confused because I am sure he isn't getting as much as before. He did loop right after today...

Ugh....I don't know. All this makes my head spin. I need to pump tonight to see if there is a difference from before.

How are the wet diapers looking? The last thing I read they were noticeably less - has that gotten better at all? It sounds like things are going really well in terms of improving your supply, but if the scale is not one of the super-accurate ones, you'll need to watch those pees carefully while you're tinkering with things, especially if your condition is giving you a potential upper limit on your supply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    . This is much more scientific than I anticipated. This whole process is. I weighed him last week sometime before he began outright sns refusal and he was at 17.2 lbs ...because his intake fluctuated I got worried so that's why I weighed him 5 days ago and I got 17lbs even. Now it shows 17.8 and I am confused because I am sure he isn't getting as much as before. He did loop right after today...

Ugh....I don't know. All this makes my head spin. I need to pump tonight to see if there is a difference from before.
    I am not sure. Because everything you are doing is in fact producing the results I am used to seeing. The results that USUALLY happen. You feed the baby more, you make more milk. You supplement less. That is all NORMAL. Right down to less waste because of more breast milk. So at what point do you make room for the fact that this COULD work exactly the way is supposed to? I mean if you need to supplement, so be it. But feeding your baby consistently is NOT making you produce less, it's making you produce more. And your baby PREFERS your breast to anything else. That is what I see.
    So...what needs to happen for you to be OK with this process? And where are your lines in terms of what you are able/willing to do in terms of feeding?

Way too lazy for formula

Hey I just reread some posts and I'm sorry about some words like poop spelled 'loop '. I'm on my kindle and it auto corrects stuff for no reason. I guess its someones attempt to keep poop out of everyday vocabulary.

Anyway...I am so afraid of this breastfeeding beast...this situation that I cant measure accurately and that I have struggled so so so much with. I don't know if I could ever believe that I have a full supply. So I guess psycologically I don't trust the results, I worry they aren't right. I don't want to risk my baby not getting enough food.

He just pooped AGAIN! I cant wait to see what it looks like...sick, huh?

The wet diapers are still not what they should be or used to be. I have had about 13 feeding sessions since 6 am thismorning. He had 2 last night...poor thing he gets hadst because of my galactagogues and its the easy way out to pumping or consoling in another manner....

Have to go feed and change. Do u think he may be getting enough? I am going to rent a scale now because I just cant believe it.

The poop/loop thing just made me laugh - no worries!

But - what does "hadst" mean?

I think DJsmom may be right, and you actually be able to really get on track with this!!! BUT... I am concerned that it sounds like the pee output has gone down noticeably. In the absence of a direct measure, output is really your best indicator of input. How much total would you say you're getting in a 24-hour period with this (I know it's probably not constant right now)? I do think getting one of those scales ASAP is a really good idea.

In the interm I'd like a 24hour DIAPER count. Like if you say it's gone way down, but he went from 16 diapers a day today 12 well guess what? I am still not worried. But if he has gone from 12 wets to 6 that would concern me. But if he is count is in the normal range even if they are no longer soaking, I am not worried because based on your posts I think it's totally possible that he was being OVERFED.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    In the interm I'd like a 24hour DIAPER count. Like if you say it's gone way down, but he went from 16 diapers a day today 12 well guess what? I am still not worried. But if he has gone from 12 wets to 6 that would concern me. But if he is count is in the normal range even if they are no longer soaking, I am not worried because based on your posts I think it's totally possible that he was being OVERFED.

Also, it's reasonable for there to be a bit of a dip if you're working to build your supply, but you don't want it to be too drastic or go on too long.

Ok...this is my 3 rd attempt to respond...the site keeps doing weird things to me.
    Hadst meant gas....my kindle doesn't know about freedom of speech.
    I'll. Count his diaper wets today and I'll find somewhere to rent those high tech scales.

I had a very gassy baby last night and I again did not pump. Its scary thinking about pumping now because he wont take supplementation without wasting half of it so now I worry he wont get what I pump and be out precious ounces.

Okay I am just reading this for the first time! Just a couple things that came to mind...

1) You are REALLY awesome for continuing through all of these struggles. You ARE doing the best thing for your baby )
    2) I don't know anything about hypoplasia, but it sounds like it has really caused you some problems. I'm sure it's super frustrating and I applaud you for battling through it
    3) From what I have been reading so far, you are estimating the amount of BM your LO is getting based on pumping, supplements, diapers, etc. I know that there isn't much I can say that will alter your perspective on this since it's your child and your situation, but you have heard that all of these things are poor indicators of how much milk you make? The diapers is the best, but pumping and supplements definitely are not! I pump terribly, I usually pump about 1 - 1 1/2 oz after 2 hours. So that would mean that I make only 12-18 oz per day if I just pumped. That is definitely not enough for my little girl! But I know she takes more than that because she's growing and is happy and meeting milestones, etc. I HIGHLY recommend getting/renting a hyper sensitive scale, or finding a LC to do some before and after weigh ins. It might surprise you how much he's actually getting!
    4) I would also like to hear how many diapers he's having per day. We used to do like 16-18 diapers in the BEGINNING, but I would say around 4.5 months we did about 12? And that was probably overkill because we had those diapers that changed colors when they were wet.
    5) Not that weight or % mean much... (TY DJSmom...) but 17 lbs for a 4.5 month old sounds really good. Like excellent in fact. What is making you think he is NOT getting enough milk from you? Please don't hit me I know that he is taking a long time to eat, but it looks like with your upped number of feeding and switching, he is doing better and your supply is increasing! I have been switching anywhere from 4-10 times in a nursing session that lasts max 10 minutes for my DD since she was 4 months or so. She eats every 1-2.5 hrs, and that's with food in between (started at 5.5 or so months). My LO is in the 6.5% but she's active and meeting milestones early. I luckily have these mamas on here that helped me realize that all of that is normal. I am wondering if your hypoplasia may have set you up (mentally) to think that you cannot make enough for your baby. Now, I'm not saying you might not have to supplement at all, but you may have doing some overkill if you don't know how much he was/is actually getting.

I hope I didn't make you more frustrated by anything I said! I really want to support you and help you in w/e way possible, because BFing is hard for all of us, each in our own way! We are here for you!!

That makes me feel so much better to hear about what you pump. And you are not supplementing right? I think I still need to, his wet diapers are way down. I have counted 5 so far today. They were very light. Nothing like they used to be.
    I cant rent one of the hypersensitive scales, the hospital said they are too sensitive/ fragile to move. Will the medela scale work? That's what they rent out.

I just saw a moment ago that my baby is teething!!!!! He is getting his lower left middle tooth. No wonder he has been extra fussy. I got his teethers out and washed them for him. I cant believe he wont have his cute gummy smile anymore.