Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: my whole day is feeding

Default Re: my whole day is feeding

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    I cant rent one of the hypersensitive scales, the hospital said they are too sensitive/ fragile to move. Will the medela scale work? That's what they rent out.
    If the scale is accurate to the 1/10 of an oz, it should be okay.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...weigh-ii-scale

Looks like this one might be okay!

I am not supplementing with formula, just solids since she is almost 9 months.

I would expect his diaper output to be low if you have cut out almost all your supplements, but it should get better if your supply builds and he gets more and more from you! If you do give him formula, make sure you are pumping when he gets it. Remember, supply and demand right? Even if you pump and NOTHING comes out, you are telling your body to make more milk and it should!

I am actually reading about hypoplasia so that I can better understand your situation. Strangely enough, almost all of the physical markers describe me as well! But I do make milk, my milk came in 3 days after DD was born, but I struggled with my milk for about 8 weeks after she was born. It took a lot of work to get where we are, lots and lots of baby on the boob! I think you should continue trying to get him on there as much as possible and slowly pull the supplements. Get that scale and see where you are, then try again in a few days. You can absolutely do this, I have so much faith in you!!!!

Teething is a fun time! DD has one tooth on the bottom - I do miss the gummy smile, but the one tooth smile is adorable too!

I will call back tomorrow to see if that was the scale they rented out. I supplement Jim a few oz at a time right after feed him and then feed him after the supplement...it seems to be working ok. Ive supplemented him about 3&1/2 oz so far today and he has pooped already today.

Question: are his poops supposed to be so liquidly? Obviously they used to be much denser with so much formula.

Hearing about your situation really makes me optimistic about breastfeeding in the future.

My mother keeps giving me a hard time about feeding him so often and prettymuch staying housebound. She keeps telling me its time to start him on food especially now that he is getting a tooth.

Runny poop is pretty normal! BM goes through babies quicker, so you'll probably see the frequency of poopy diapers go up.

Some babies are born with teeth (seriously) and we don't give them food! Just milk Just tell your mom that, while you appreciate her advice, that you would prefer to do things the way that you want. Most doctors say around 6 months for solids. Being housebound sometimes is part of our job as nursing moms. I'm terrible at NIP, so if I'm out, I nurse in the car, but I mostly stay home and just play and nurse all day long! You have to remember that no matter what anyone tells you, your mom, friends, even DH sometimes, it's your JOB to feed you child. You make that decision, not anyone else

I'm glad that you are feeling a little better about your BFing journey with your DS! I would definitely get that scale and let us know what you find!!

That makes me feel so much better to hear about what you pump. And you are not supplementing right? I think I still need to, his wet diapers are way down. I have counted 5 so far today. They were very light. Nothing like they used to be.
    The correct number of wet diapers in a 24hour period of time is 6-8. So 5 by 5pm which is when you posted is totally within normal. Because that means he has until whenever you started tracking (1st thing in the morning? I hope?) 2 make the rest. I reiterate that you may want to consider the fact that you were overfeeding your child because you assumed he was getting nothing from you when breastfeeding and he was.
    I will call back tomorrow to see if that was the scale they rented out. I supplement Jim a few oz at a time right after feed him and then feed him after the supplement...it seems to be working ok. Ive supplemented him about 3&1/2 oz so far today and he has pooped already today.

Question: are his poops supposed to be so liquidly? Obviously they used to be much denser with so much formula.

Hearing about your situation really makes me optimistic about breastfeeding in the future.

My mother keeps giving me a hard time about feeding him so often and pretty much staying housebound. She keeps telling me its time to start him on food especially now that he is getting a tooth.
    The consistency of EBF poop ranges from bright yellow very loose, seedy stool to the color and consistency of peanut butter.

Way too lazy for formula

My mother keeps giving me a hard time about feeding him so often and prettymuch staying housebound.
    Sounds like she's worried about you. I'd just reassure her that the "housebound" thing is temporary and that you are following current medical recommendations for when to introduce solids.

so do wet diapers have to be more than one pee to be considered? i had a total of 7 wet diapers and one poopy yeasterday starting at 9:45am to 10:00p.

i cant find anyone who will rent out an accurate enough scale so i will be going to the hospitals mother baby unit for a feeding session tomorrow or friday.

in the mean time, i have an antique food scale that i will use, it is pretty accurate and has increments of 1/2 oz. i mean, thats better than nothing i guess, if he gains an oz and a half i can read it on the scale. there is another more accurate food scale that is also antique and its manual at a feed store...ironic...that i can use for free and its really big, so he will fit nicely on it...its worth a try.

through looking up that medela scale i discovered that medela violates the WHO standards for supporting breastfeeding...and they dont intend to do anything about it because they make money with the products that are the cause of violation. i really dont expect big corporations to decide against profits and growth into controversial new products... we live in a very extreme capitalist marketplace. it does make me less likely to buy their products though. i guess its fortunate for me that i get most everything second hand.

so do wet diapers have to be more than one pee to be considered? i had a total of 7 wet diapers and one poopy yeasterday starting at 9:45am to 10:00p.
    Yeah see but this isn't a whole day. You need to count from 9:45 am to 9:45 am. Its within a 24hour period of time. And yes. If you were trying to figure out if you were staying hydrated you would count every time you peed right? Right. SO If you have 8 or more diapers in a 24hour period of time your baby is getting enough to eat. It goes in, it comes out.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Yeah see but this isn't a whole day. You need to count from 9:45 am to 9:45 am. Its within a 24hour period of time. And yes. If you were trying to figure out if you were staying hydrated you would count every time you peed right? Right. SO If you have 8 or more diapers in a 24hour period of time your baby is getting enough to eat. It goes in, it comes out.
    ok, so i have heard 4-6 table spoons is what i should be getting wet wise each diaper. I am worried he still isnt getting enough. he is falling asleep at feedings a lot now. seems to not get enough. i am going to up his supplement until i can test the amount. i counted how many changes i do in 24 hours...the morning change is left over from the night before...so its like 9:30 am to 9:30 am...

i will weigh him tomorrow. i am getting very nervous that i am just imagining an increase in supply to the amount i need to only supplement 6-8 oz.

Just try to relax - I know, easier said than done - but you are hopefully going to get some good news from the weigh in and you'll be able to figure out your next step. It might be accepting that he was getting milk all along! It sounds like his diapers are within the normal range - I just put 8 tbsp of water in a diaper and measured it - about 5oz (a pampers size 2 diaper, if that matters). You could weigh his diapers if you wanted to try that instead of just counting the number. Just try really hard to relax - stress causes milk production to slow wayy down, so if you can, find something to calm your mind, take deep breaths before feeding him, etc.
    Last edited by @llli*blueberrysmom; November 8th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.