Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: my whole day is feeding

Default Re: my whole day is feeding

Yeah I'm a little happier about feedings just because I haven't had to make him cry for every feed. He isn't getting enough though...his diapers aren't very wet and of course there isn't any stool to show for it either. I am fighting to give him his food now more than ever. We are at 8&12 oz of formula and its 5. If I can get him to eat another 8 oz then I'll feel less horrible about this breastfeeding vacation we have taken.

So far he hasn't bee noticibly cranky about the major change in quantity...especially yesterday. What's up with that...is my kid happy to starve? What happens if he gets less than what he needs daily? Does he just grow slower of does it stress out his body?

It's rare for a baby to be blasé about not getting enough to eat. Most babies who aren't getting enough let mom know by nursing constantly and crying the moment they are put down (though both those behaviors are also common in babies who are getting plenty to eat).

If your child is getting less than his daily calorie needs, he's not going to grow or develop normally. It won't happen right away, though. A few days of not getting his calorie needs met aren't going to hurt him, because he'll just metabolize some fat stores, and devote that energy to the most important aspects of his growth, like brain development.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So I was shocked last night when my son actually pooped. He usually poops every other day and was due to go yesterday but I didn't expect it because the whole day before was experimental breastfeeding at an estimated 12 oz Max and he only got in about 2&1/2 oz of supplement at his last feed. I imagine the breastmilk expedited his food through his body and hats why he did loop. It was about half of what he normally has so that sounds pretty consistent.

I feel like my milk has really ramped up through the exercise to where it was before at around 15 oz a day especially with this feeding schedule. I am glad I did this and thank u all for the suggestion and support. Now I have to figure out how to get him to eat his supplement today as he is now spitting anything out that I put in with the eyedropper.

I will repeat this process again if I feel like production goes down.

Where is the estimate of of only 12oz of breastmilk coming from? Didn't you feed him at least 10 times at your breast yesterday? And you said 8&12on the supplements? What does that mean? Was one Part of the supplement breastmilk and one part formula? I assume that there is less stool than you are used to because he got MORE breastmilk than usual and LESS formula. And breastmilk is more quickly absorbed and creates less waste.

Way too lazy for formula

The 12 oz breastmilk estimate is just me being afraid Of being too optimistic. I haven't had time to pump for a better look. I'll try tonight to get a figure that has actual grounds. The supplement yesterday was about 12 oz. Today ive been trying the new platex bottle...I cant get him to suck enough to figure it out. He thinks its a toy and he just pushes the nipple out and talks. Its much less angry than his reaction to the Dr brown bottles. I like the shape of the playtex bottles too and their low flow nipples are much sslower flow than the low flow from Dr Brown's.

Ok...I know this is going to make everyone think I'm making more milk than I think I am but I just weighed my son with all the same variables as I did 5 days ago and he is up 8/10ths of a pound...give it a plus minus of 5/10ths. I don't know if that's because I just got 4 oz of formula a couple hours ago or what.

Anyway I thought I would report his weight isn't down, its up a little. I am surprised.

Did you ever rent a professional scale and do before and after nursing weights? That is the absolute hands-down best way to figure out how much milk your baby gets when nursing. It's much more accurate than pumping, or judging intake by how much supplement the baby takes after nursing, or diaper output.

The fact that your supply bounced up so very quickly from a day's worth of nursing and not supplementing... It makes me suspect that your capacity to produce milk may be greater than you think. I don't know- if you are really struggling with hypoplasia then there probably is a ceiling to your supply. But... What if the hypoplasia is a misdiagnosis? Identifying hypoplastic breasts isn't easy!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Oh there is no doubt that I have hypoplasia...I got a breast augmentation because of this condition and was told by my surgeon I had breast constriction and it was quite severe. Its the same thing. Ive researched it quite a lot and I don't really have any doubts. I think if he is getting more its because I am removing the milk so often that my body is trying to rush to produce more fast rather than slowly filling up and reaching capacity. The most I ever pumped was 4&1/4 oz after almost 7 hours during the peak of my production which averaged 0.78 oz an hour during the night.

I think I'll keep feeding him every hour....I used to pump every hour and feed him on an sns in between pumps...but I think this is better and its much more enjoyable. I love nursing him without the sns and worrying about formula before I feed. We are most successful with the eyedropper so I do that inbetween feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    I think if he is getting more its because I am removing the milk so often that my body is trying to rush to produce more fast rather than slowly filling up and reaching capacity.
    That is exactly the definition of how supply improves. Empty the breast as often as possible and as completely as possible, and the body thinks "whoa, huge demand, better make more milk, and quick!" Let the breast fill up, and the body thinks "not much demand- don't waste energy by making extra milk".

I hope you don't take offense at me questioning the issues you've been dealing with.

No...no offense, u never saw my breasts...ha...yeah...they were totally bizarre looking. I knew they were strange and unusual since I was 13. That's when they stopped growing. So as I wrote that bit my son looped again and with less than 6 oz supplement so far today. He usually poops every other day like i said and now its 2 days in a row! So crazy. I'm afraid to be excited or optimistic still.

I didn't know I could rent one of those scales...I'll. Look into it.

Time to feed again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    Ok...I know this is going to make everyone think I'm making more milk than I think I am but I just weighed my son with all the same variables as I did 5 days ago and he is up 8/10ths of a pound...give it a plus minus of 5/10ths. I don't know if that's because I just got 4 oz of formula a couple hours ago or what.

Anyway I thought I would report his weight isn't down, its up a little. I am surprised.
    This part of your post confuses me. Your up 8/10ths of a lb So 14oz. (Which is HUGE.) But you want me to giver or take 5/10? Which is half a lb? So if he was only up 7oz that wouldn't be good? WHAT!?! I don't understand. And I really really try to pull the emotion away from situations and just look at numbers and output.
    So where are we at? You stopped supplementing at every feed. Your baby didn't freak out, you supplemented less than normal and he gained AT LEAST 7oz in 5days. Is that right?

Way too lazy for formula