Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: my whole day is feeding

Default Re: my whole day is feeding

Ok so I have been only breastfeeding today...my poor baby hasn't fallen asleep like he usually does...he has been working much harder at nursing and it takes him a long time and switching about 4 or 5 times for him to get sleepy -probably from all the work. I feel like he may be vetting a little more breastmilk from eating this way since he is demanding more strongly and alternating so muc and stimulating more let downs. I have had him on every other hour for about an hour each time. I have been seeing wet diapers though they aren't as saturated as much as usual-maybe one pee compared to three in just 2 hours.

I have spent all day doing this. My baby is very hungry and we just had a feeding. I really want to supplement but I'll hold off until his last feeding of the day.

Honestly I never thought to keep switching sides to stimulate more letdowns. I usually have to keep my focus on getting him to down his supplement so he gets all his food and he gets so angry and tired out because he doesn't like the type or how I supplement.

I ordered another kind of bottle with nipples that are more wide mouthed so we will see if I can get him to start taking a supplement via bottle after breastfeeding. This will be the 4 th bottle nipples type I have tried on him.

I hope this works.e

Good luck, mama! I really hope this works. Please count those diapers carefully, okay? You're dropping a huge amount of supplement all at once.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If it makes you feel any better, I ABSOLUTELY despise breastfeeding!! BUT it would be selfish of me to deny my daughter the best possible start in life, so I suck it up and do it. I feed ALL DAY, thats literally all I do, sit on the couch and feed my child. It's so time consuming that I cry because I cant even do laundry or dishes or workout. I can barely go to the grocery store, I usually have to buy all my non perishables first, then go out to the car, feed baby, then go back in and buy the rest of the groceries. It's like grocery store sweep, I do it as FAST as possible. But I understand how you feel, I am not supplementing but sometimes Iwould like to just so I could have a break, but like yours, my dd wont take a bottle either, she hates it, and to make matters worse lately all she does is cry when I try and feed her, and now she's getting up every 2 hours at night to eat. I know it's not a growth spurt, its just the inconvient part of breastfeeding. So no judgement on my part. Just remember that "This too shall pass" and when they are 10yrs old like my oldest, they are back talking, messy brats, that hate you LOL...and you'll wish for the crying, spitting up, even the nipple pain. YOU DO YOU! Whatever is right for you and YOUR sanity, is right for your baby!

Hi mama. So many things to say to you: first is a major GOOD JOB for sticking with this through so many troubles. A lot of people would have given up and you are doing an amazing thing plugging away like this. I am not you and I haven't experienced what you are going through--but, I did have an insane "schedule" when my LO was first born due to significant weight loss [we were hospitalized and -- because I was so insistent on BFing -- I was required to try to nurse for 40 minutes (20 minutes per side), then give him an ENTIRE feeding of formula and/or BM (with a quantity dictated by formula calculations) and then pump to try to get what I could for the next "top up" feed. OMG, the whole thing took a total of 2.5 hours at least and I had to do it every 3. My husband wasn't allowed to stay with us, we had the meanest nurse, and I was 5 days post partum (hello hormonal craziness). This culminated in my throwing a MAJOR temper tantrum/hysterical fit in the middle of the neonatal unit. Anyway, all that to say, I could barely keep that up for a week, and think your feelings about your situation make sense and are completely understandable).

On to your actual questions/situation...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    Ugh, so I've calmed down a little. I am going to try just breastfeeding for a day to give myself a break from the sns and screaming. I think when he is hungry and happy he feeds better.
    I think this sounds like a great idea. It sounds like the SNS and bottles/cups was causing a lot of stress for you both. Stress can have a HUGE impact on feeding. So, at least trying to eliminate or decrease something that is causing you both so much upset sounds like a great place to start. Plus, the more you stimulate your breasts the better. Great idea!

I just started switching him back and forth between breasts and each time he triggered a letdown and this was after the regular feed time he gets on each one normally. I just kept switching and they kept draining further. After an hour of that my breasts were the emptiest they have felt in a long long time. If I can do this every other hour for a day or two and offer him a supplement if he gets fussy...I think its worth a go. I guess he wont starve in a day or two and he cant get any fussier. I haven't tried switching him so much before and I'm interested in how the constant draining can work....
    I had to start doing this too when my LO was about 4 months old or so. We still do it quite a lot (mostly because now he is just impatient) and it worked/works wonders. He really seemed to empty my breasts when I did this (honestly, before I tried this I never understood what "empty breasts" meant). I noticed when we did this, that we did it for a few days (can't remember exactly how long) and then he seemed to need to do it a bit less (though, like I said, he still does it at 11 months). If you keep this up, nursing "on demand," I would imagine it can only mean good things for your supply.

It sounds to me like you have some great instincts.

I would have given up long ago if it hadn't been for his face when he sees its time to eat and the obvious health benefits. I hope things get better...my husband thinks ive gone crazy and that I shouldn't have more kids. He comes from a formula feeding family that is almost all male...so he has no idea what's going on except that he sees both me and the baby crying all the time.
    Oh yes, I think DH and I have had the exact same exchanges (except he WAS breastfed). I think it was really hard for him to see me going through all that and not be able to do anything to "fix it." Do you have a local LLL group? It sounds like it might be really helpful for you to have some support and they can even provide some support to dad to help him "get it" a bit more too. I know a meeting probably sounds impossible with all you have going on, but it might be good to even just give the leader a call (when I've had problems the BEST advice I've ever gotten was from my local leader).

Thanks so much for the support. I do want advice its just I want the answer to desend from the sky surrounded by Angela and golden light and I want the answer to be simple, easy and increase my supply to 45 oz a day. Its silly but that's really what I want...ok, maybe 60 oz a day so I can save lots and lots!
    Sister, I hear you here! Even when things were going well, I felt a lot of anxiety about BF and my supply. We are now at 11 months, and I have just in the last few weeks started to really LOVE breastfeeding and to feel less anxious (I stopped HATING it when he was about 5 months...but the anxiety has been ever present for me).

One last thing...I don't really know anything about hypoplasia (I googled it -- have you read this: https://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/...-3-2009p4.html) but I do wonder if some kind of pharmacological or herbal galactagogue could be helpful? Have you ever tried Fenugreek or spoken with your doc about Domperidone? Just a thought (may be WAY off base).

Good luck, mama. You are doing great. Keep us posted on how things go.

How's it going today?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*evolvingmama View Post

One last thing...I don't really know anything about hypoplasia (I googled it -- have you read this: https://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/...-3-2009p4.html) but I do wonder if some kind of pharmacological or herbal galactagogue could be helpful? Have you ever tried Fenugreek or spoken with your doc about Domperidone? Just a thought (may be WAY off base).

Good luck, mama. You are doing great. Keep us posted on how things go.
    Yeah...u name the galactagogue and Ive tried it. But I cant get a Dr to prescribe me domperidone or metformin...I really have come to dislike the medical profession over the last 2 years...all these doctors are so holier than thou and they could care less what u want or about any research u have done on something on your own. I feel like any time I disagree with what a Dr wants or tells me they look down on me and I then become a crazy person to them for not 'agreeing'.

I am on more milk special blend I buy it by the 8 oz size and I take 2 times the recommended dowager. I also take shatavari, red clover, saw palmetto, and black seed oil. I drink motherlove tea and also anise seed tea. I eat oatmeal and stay away from super processed foods. I eat lots of steamed veggies and lots of eggs for the easily digested protein. Funegreek doesn't do much...none of it really does...except the more milk tincture that tastes AWFUL! but I do the other stuff anyway.

I am going to read the link u sent me now. I will be taking stuff to grow my breast tissue before the next baby and I am thinking about doing progesterone or whatever those shots are during pregnancy up until the last few weeks.

So I tried a sns last night and he cried so hard it was awful...then I tried a bottle...again awful screaming and crying...then I gave it to my husband and he got less crying but my baby just ignored it & definately didn't suck any food out. Finally I got an eyedropper and got 2&1/2 oz of formula into him before he went to bed.

Today I did try feeding him a supplement after he BF, he really doesn't like the eyedropper now...go figure. My husband is freaking out telling me I nave to take him to the doctor to figure it out. I hate to shoot him down but its pretty obvious to me my baby just doesnt like anything but breastfeeding on a baked nipple. I don't know how I am going. To get more food in him...I just tried the eyedropper again and i swear he thew up all the formula AND all the breastmilk too in protest. I hate this...now I have my husband nagging me about how I feed him and he is upset about the eating problems. My mother keeps saying it sounds like my baby wants to start eating food now...I told her over my dead body until the 6 month mark. That's a month and a week and a half away.

Why does my baby have to make it so tough to feed him? I cant even get him to accept supplemental food from any device.

Oh, mama! It sounds tough. You are trying everything and it sounds like your little one knows how great you are and just wants his momma. Who can blame him?! It does sound hard and discouraging though--your feelings are completely understandable. And, I am so sorry you aren't getting more support from your husband and your mom. Wish I could make it better, but I can definitely say that your LLL online community is here and we support you!!

That's really frustrating too about your doctor not being willing to try a galactagogue. So frustrating. Don't know if this would help, but awhile back someone suggested to me to contact Dr. Jack Newman about a problem I was having. His advice was to try one and he advised that if my doctor was unwilling to prescribe that the doctor could call him directly for a consult. Perhaps it would be worth emailing Dr. Newman about your problem? He may have some suggestions and perhaps if a galactagogue is one he will make the same offer? You can find the contact details here: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...d=62&Itemid=33 It was suggested to me that you be sure to keep the email short and to the point (this is also the direction on the webpage). He got back to me VERY quickly.

Oddly, I went to Kellymom today for a completely unrelated reason and what was one of the front page articles but a post about hypoplasia: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ndular-tissue/

Do keep us posted.

Sorry if this has been suggested before, but you mentioned having trouble with your baby accepting a bottle. Have you tried a latex nipple? Neither of my first two would take a silicone nipple, which is what most bottles come with. Playtex dropins has a latex version. It "feels" more natural to some babies.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Sorry if this has been suggested before, but you mentioned having trouble with your baby accepting a bottle. Have you tried a latex nipple? Neither of my first two would take a silicone nipple, which is what most bottles come with. Playtex dropins has a latex version. It "feels" more natural to some babies.

I just ordered those bottles...I 'll pick up the latex nipples at the mommy botique when they get here if he doesn't like the silicone ones.

I am worried I'll keep trying new stuff but he wont like or accept any of it and I'll have to feed him in misery until he is old enough to wean.

I have talked to that Dr. About what else I could try he did suggest domperidone but I couldn't find a pharmacy that would compound it for me and then my Dr said its not something she would prescribe because he FDA hasn't tested it. I tried to explain why they haven't OKed it but my Dr probably thinks I'm some hippie nutzo.

I feel like my supply has rebounded a little though there isn't time to pump between feeds to find out...I have been feeding him every hour almost. I am going to look up those links right after I switch my diaper load to the dryer. Yeah...I cloth diaper on top of this too...but that has Proven easy and very gratifying as its he only thing about my baby I really can control
    Last edited by @llli*diymom; November 4th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

I'm sure people have already told you pumping isn't a great way to check on your supply anyway. If you feel like there is milk transfer happening, that's much more important than finding time to pump. Just keep an eye on those diapers!

You sound a lot more upbeat, which is so good to hear.